Slipped tendon?

Gtennill

Hatching
Jul 11, 2023
Is this a slipped tendon or something else? I can bend the hip back to normal but the chick can’t keep it like that. Its other leg is normal and he has been balancing on it fine. I’ve looked around but can’t find any photos that match whatever he’s got going on.

When is too late to start the cup method? It is 2 weeks old

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 27CC986C-1327-495D-9A37-BBAB3DCA707E.jpeg
    27CC986C-1327-495D-9A37-BBAB3DCA707E.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 23AFADD9-88AA-4FBD-97A3-B92F233AFC0C.jpeg
    23AFADD9-88AA-4FBD-97A3-B92F233AFC0C.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 17
It needed help getting out of the shell and has never been able to walk with both legs. It can kind of get to its food with lots of flapping. He’s smaller than his siblings too.

His hip usually is bent all the way over at a 90 degree angle.
72ACDC52-5877-454C-8F59-2E0D3CF0B965.jpeg

I really don’t know what to think about the leg problem, maybe a hip issue? Putting chicks in a small glass or wineglass can help strengthen leg muscles. I will tag @Wyorp Rock to see if she has any thoughts. Have you tried any B complex vitamins? If not I would try 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water and given with a dropper. I think this chick may end up not being able to survive. Or you could choose to cull.

I really don’t know what to think about the leg problem, maybe a hip issue? Putting chicks in a small glass or wineglass can help strengthen leg muscles. I will tag @Wyorp Rock to see if she has any thoughts. Have you tried any B complex vitamins? If not I would try 1/4 tablet daily crushed into a spoonful of water and given with a dropper. I think this chick may end up not being able to survive. Or you could choose to cull.
I’ll try the vitamins. I’ll keep trying with him unless his quality of life gets worse. Thank you

It is hard to determine whether this could be a congenital malformation or a dislocated hip.

In any case it will get even worse as with increasing weight of the chick the strain on leg and hip will increase as well.
He doesn’t put any weight on it. Does that make a difference?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom