Slipped tendon?

I'm really sorry about your chick. We all just want to see our sweet little fluff balls bouncing around happy as can be; it's so sad and stressful when someone is struggling.

I found an interesting video with a gal helping her splay leg peachick when I had to address it with a chick recently, but I really couldn't say whether or not it might help your chick.

At two weeks I think you're about at that point where either whatever you try right now *may* help, or it may not, but the chances of anything changing for the better if you do nothing are slipping away. I don't think anyone would fault you either way for choosing to rig up some kind of crazy therapeutic contraption - or not. (((Hugs)))

Hi. I have a brood chick 10 days old. It was a late hatched and kicked aside by mother hen. It had minor splay leg and curly toes, and would occasionally kick its right leg back. I noticed its right side buttocks was lopsided or swollen. I taped toes and hobbled legs for a few days. It seemed to help. Back with its family, he was doing okay. He started to kick and shake right leg again. Possible slipped tendon? I tried to message and move tendon. I don't now what it looks like and I don't know what I am doing. Looked up on internet, nothing really helped. I tried splint and chick chair. Chick flapped out of that. Tried to tape him down, but he is an escape artist. Don't want to go to vet. That would be a $100 trip.
Little guy is limping, hopping around and looks in pain.
I have some pics, not sure it helps. 1-Swollen rump, 2-swollen rump and leg protruding, 3-holding leg up.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Nemo- Swollen rump.jpg
    Nemo- Swollen rump.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Nemo- Swollen rump and leg.jpg
    Nemo- Swollen rump and leg.jpg
    443.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Nemo- holding right leg up.jpg
    Nemo- holding right leg up.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 13
Hi. I have a brood chick 10 days old. It was a late hatched and kicked aside by mother hen. It had minor splay leg and curly toes, and would occasionally kick its right leg back. I noticed its right side buttocks was lopsided or swollen. I taped toes and hobbled legs for a few days. It seemed to help. Back with its family, he was doing okay. He started to kick and shake right leg again. Possible slipped tendon? I tried to message and move tendon. I don't now what it looks like and I don't know what I am doing. Looked up on internet, nothing really helped. I tried splint and chick chair. Chick flapped out of that. Tried to tape him down, but he is an escape artist. Don't want to go to vet. That would be a $100 trip.
Little guy is limping, hopping around and looks in pain.
I have some pics, not sure it helps. 1-Swollen rump, 2-swollen rump and leg protruding, 3-holding leg up.
Any suggestions?
Can you get a video of how the chick moves?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

I'd work on getting vitamins into this little one asap. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily along with a bit of egg. The B Complex is for leg support and the E is for neural support.

I'm not sure about a swollen rump - do you note any purple or green bloat/swelling of the abdomen? Is the vent clear and free of stuck droppings?

I'd work on getting vitamins into this little one asap. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 400IU Vitamin E daily along with a bit of egg. The B Complex is for leg support and the E is for neural support.

I'm not sure about a swollen rump - do you note any purple or green bloat/swelling of the abdomen? Is the vent clear and free of stuck droppings?
Thank you for replying and the suggestions. Will get on the vitamins tomorrow and work on the video.
The little guy's abdomen looks bigger. I will look again to get more details. He does poop.

Today he was really bad, holding his leg up against his body, but was still running around.

Hello again,

I gave little Nemo some vitamin B-complex and E, I put it in grape juice. Wasn't sure how to put it in egg and whether he would eat it. Momma drank some and liked it, gave some to siblings too.
Here is a pic of Nemo's bottom/belly, right leg is extended out and does not look misaligned or crooked. It is hot here today and he looks a little exhausted, hoping it is only the heat making him feel tired.

Also a video of him walking. Should be ready to view by 2:45pm 08/17/2023

Attachments

• Nemo butt-belly.jpg
    Nemo butt-belly.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 8
I did and this time I was able to watch the video. I have never seen anything like this, his leg seems to work just fine until he lifts it to a certain level which causes the "snapping" motion.

His belly might be red/purple from brushing it on the ground/straw/hay when the leg slips, so the "omphalitis like look" could just be caused by this and not by infection.

It was disheartening to see what chicks go through with Omphalitis.
His little belly is getting larger and I saw the belly button on the side, I thought it was a poop stuck in the fluff. The lump is soft but firm (if that make sense) not like a hard lump. It does not move around or side to side. If it is Omphalitis, he probably has a few days at best from the readings, unless he is able to kick the infection. 🤞

Cute 'lil thing!

Can you examine him again very closely all the way down to the skin, look for anything like a hair, string or feather that may be wrapped around the leg/foot. Even look at the feathers coming in on the legs, see if there's anything off there. Bottom of foot too.

What does the joint feel like? Compare it to his "good" leg - you can feel if the tendon is slipping, but the movement doesn't make me think of slipped tendon, but if you don't find anything "strange" you could try splinting for a day and see if that makes a difference.

As for the chick belly - there is a bit of irritation, but I agree with @LaFleche this could be due to the way he's walking and rubbing the belly when he takes steps.
Time will tell if it's something more serious like Mushy Chick.

Giving the vitamin in water won't hurt a thing and Mama and the others may benefit or at least enjoy it, but it's important to try make sure he's getting the B-Complex. When I have a small chick like that, I dissolve the vitamin in a tiny amount of water, then syringe it into them. Chicks can aspirate easily, so give a drop at a time. If you need to, give a few drops, then come back later and give some more, etc.

Back
Top Bottom