Slow grow broiler genetics..

Timmy59

Songster
Jul 26, 2020
Good morning.. Might someone be able to shed some light on the "so called" slow grow Cornish x ? We bought 25 from welp hatchery that hatched 9-2-20 and they're doing fine.. ZerO loss, apple cider vinegar with mother.. Strombergs also carry's the slo gro, My curious brain would like to know what makes up the slow grow birds..

I imagine the slow growth CX are just CX with bad growth rate genetics and they are marketing them with something they feel might go trendy. If I wanted slow growth Cornish I would get the Heritage Cornish breed. The speed that a bird grows is what attracts me to CX. This is just me guessing though, take it as an ignorant mans opinion and not fact. But just because I am ignorant doesn't mean I am wrong it just means I am guessing.

I imagine the slow growth CX are just CX with bad growth rate genetics and they are marketing them with something they feel might go trendy. If I wanted slow growth Cornish I would get the Heritage Cornish breed. The speed that a bird grows is what attracts me to CX. This is just me guessing though, take it as an ignorant mans opinion and not fact. But just because I am ignorant doesn't mean I am wrong it just means I am guessing.
Well CK, imagination is one of the things that make man what he is.. The heritage cornish was bred to be a meat bird ? No it was bred to fight hence the Indian game bird.. So it failed to live up to what it was bred to do.. I want / ed the heritage cornish as my plan is long term sustainability..( Homesteader / prepper type folks ) We ordered 76 fast gro CX and because of the flu they were not recieved until 6 weeks after I wanted.. They don't do well in the heat.. But they do put lbs of chicken in the freezer.. Of the 76 we put 64 birds / 288 lbs in the freezer @ 50 days old, 2 days for the wife and I with the yardbird plucker... If one gets deep into the current cx, they may find that it is mans inhumane nature that produced such.. They are GMO / mutants that are rather tough to stomach if you catch my drift.. 76 purchased, 64 put up and not for a lack of proper husbandry.. Luckily we have a Cane Corso that likes chicken too.. Because the heritage bird is SOOOO hard to come by I decided to give this "slo gro" bird a chance.. They are coming 60 days and we have no loss to date, come spring I will grade them according to conformation providing they winter well and we're not wiped out by some sort of disaster..
NOTE: I have lurked and read and know there is some savy keepers here so I was hoping someone was in the know..

OH, they're growth rate is not bad at all, not quite cx regular but they do grow quite well.. It is the year (for us ) to rotate and we purchased 15 white rocks from Meyers and 25 slo gros from welp.. There is a big difference in leg girth of the 2 so they're easy to tell apart, although their in different pens.. Because we don't want booming growth they all got about 4 weeks on 20% and then switched to 16% layer.. I too am ignorant in many regards, which is what brings me here..

If you happen to be reading this and have standard Cornish available in or around Oklahoma I'd be interested in some.. Thank you..

Watching because I just ordered from there. :pop
Still have the 25 we purchased but NO clue as to genetic make up yet.. And I just figured with all the active brain cells here this would be the place to clue.. Good luck with your chicks..

60 days old on 11-2-20, they're more feathered than the cobb 500 at the same age, wonder if these might be cobb 250s or the likes of.. There is 1 bird / roo that has the cinnamon queen color..
20201031_171344.jpg
20201031_132836.jpg
1st pic said birds 2nd pic the new white rocks..

9 weeks old and still at zero loss.. Love it,, they're starting to fight, 2nd picture displays it..
Let go of my waddle..
20201108_160611.jpg
20201108_160517.jpg

Cobb and Aviagen have numerous strains for different parts of the industry.

You have Cobb 700, Cobb 500, Cobb 500 Slow,, Ross 308, Ross 308AP, Ross 508, Ross 708, Hybro Plus and Avian 48, Rowan 708, Rowan Ranger , Ranger Premium, Ranger Classic, etc

There is also nothing like GMO in the production chicken strains.. There is no lab gene manipulation its strait breeding thru carful analysis of the genetics.

You also can get 100% survival with standard CX.. I just finished 60 birds no losses ad lib feed thru 4 wks and could have gone longer.. Things like 17hr/day of light not more, good quality soy free feed.. electrolyte probiotic mix pastured treated to meal worms. All help to raise healthy birds.. Birds were taken at 7.5 wks as that was when it in the schedule. Pullets average including necks 6.3 Cockerels average over 8 with necks.. No bird was under 5. They were not small birds.

There are a number of research studies showing the negative health effects of soy in feed on broiler and chickens in genera

l.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom