slow rooster maybe depressed? (UPDATE)

GoldenSparrows

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
Where ever Bilbo is
My rooster seems slow moving; he walks but seems in no rush to get anywhere. Hes with another rooster. The other rooster is at the top of the dominance line, and is a perky as can be. When I picked him up, he seems light, and thin. He dosent crow much, and doesn’t make much noise. He is two years old. Some times he stands with his tail down; other times he keeps it up. Now he is standing off by himself. He fluffs his feathers up, as if he’s cold. It is cold here, but the other chickens don’t fluff their feathers. he seems sad, or depressed. He does perk up a bit, when he’s with the hens. We only have three hens, so we usually keep the roosters separate from them.

Is there any thing I can feed him, to boost his spirits, and make him gain weight?
I am giving him Rickets Diet, with his normal food.

Here is a picture of him, see how his feathers are fluffed a little.
Oh, and the snow has just melted.

5513202240_54afcb182d.jpg

thanks everyone

Last edited:
I think he needs some ladies.. If that is what Is perking him up...

Two rooster to three hens doesn't sounds like a good ratio...

You say the Roos are kept seperate from the hens, is there any way you can just make one pen for a roo and three hens an the other pen for the other roo and three more hens?

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the head roo is keeping this lower roo from getting the full amount of food he needs. In winter this is very important.

You noticed he is thin - which means he is drawing on his body reserves to keep his body warm - the slowing down and fluffing of feathers are another sign.

Do you have a place, garage?, where you can kennel (cage) him for a week or so. Making sure he is getting enough food and water - being in the garage, he should not have to work as hard to keep his body warm.

I would be sure the protein in his feed is good - at least 20% and also offer scrambled/boiled eggs, fish/salmon, chopped raw liver, meat.

For the past week we have been keeping him with the hens, and he has perked up a little, he mates with them too. The hens are all wearing hen saddles, for there protection.
He is only with the other rooster at night, where they all sleep together. we are really thinking about getting more hen.

He did start crowing though, which he hasn’t done for a while. However he starts out strong, and then ends it sounding like a rusty hinge. Is this normal? alsot he really doesn’t make many chicken noises at all, other then a little bit. much less then the others.

He LOVES cat food, and I know it has a lot of protein in it, but how much is too much of it.

When I feed them, I have to spread it out on the ground. If I put it in my hand, he eats to fast, and chokes, which really scares me!

he has'ent put his tail down (droppy) since he has been with the girls.

Thank you so much for all your help!
smile.png

Go easy on cat food. Try alternating other kinds of treats instead.
Cat food is ok in small amounts here n there. It has more to do with how it is processed versus protein.

Glad to read that he is improving.

Thanks BooBear
I have been giving him lots of eggs, with yogert, oats, and a bit of honey.
does this seem ok?

Last edited:
I'd cut down on the cat food. It has taurine in it and that isn't great for them, so I've been told. More hens would probably good all around and it sounds like you've got plenty of other yummy treats for him
smile.png

Hi all,
my roo doing alot better! he's acting alot more like a real rooster. however, his crow is still rusty. is that normal?
thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom