SLR digital camera

I have a Canon S3IS. It's not a DSLR, but a middle step between a point and shoot and a DSLR, with a 12x zoom. I quite like it and have used it to get decent shots of not just chickens, but also Black-crowned Night Herons, Red-shouldered Hawks, a Peregrine Falcon and even a Bald Eagle.

It's not as good as a DSLR, but it's a very nice camera and will take fantastic shots of a domestic chicken. It also takes very good shots of moving horses far away. And, it cost $350 with batteries, a charger, and a memory card. Since it is now discontinued, you can get either that camera for a bit less or the next model.

I lust for a DSLR with a serious lens, but I couldn't swing the $$. This camera has the other advantage of being more portable.

I also recommend http://www.dpreview.com for a great indepth comparison between models.

i should mention that a new camera isn't just going to fix all your photos for you, raw files can look pretty bland sometimes

but the good news is you are perhaps starting on a journey of learning new stuff (photoshop maybe) and there is a lot to learn
big_smile.png

original
DSC_5851-1.jpg

fix-em-upped
DSC_5851.jpg

now that i look at it on a different monitor, the highlights on this look a bit hot
wink.png

I just bought a Nikkon D40. Still playing with it and reading the book. It got great reviews on Amazon though. I'm a lazy photographer,I like that it has a point and shoot option. It came with a 15mm-55mm vr lens,I'm also going to get the 55mm-200mm vr lens for it. I really enjoy taking wildlife photos.

My suggestion is to go either Nikon (my preference) or Cannon.

Here is something most people wouldn't know:

1. Even the smallest of dSLR bodies have a rich feature-set that will satisfy you until you turn pro (aka shoot for hire). So don't overspend on the body! A D40 or D60 is more than you need.
2. Don't buy the kit lens. They are plastic and do not produce as sharp an output as you can get from a glass lens. Spend the extra ~$100 and get a Sigma lens (18-55 or 18-70). If you can try to buy with as low an f-stop as possible.
3. Buy a flash-gun. The poster above that was showing the hen photo (pre- and post fix-up) could have had the post-fix up quality if a diffused off-center flash was used when taking the photo.

And most importantly. Whatever you pick -> have fun and experiment! Oh, and don't be afraid of the manual modes! They make the whole hobby fun.

Tom

P.S. PM me if you want some help or pointers.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!
love.gif
Canon seens to ba a fav all around.. So... Get a good camera body and a great lens, not the lens kit? I have used an old Minolta 102 with a couple Sigma lenses for 20 something years for my good shooting. It takes great pictures. But it is, of coarse 35mm. I've had a few point and shoots for inside or 'people' shots. Now I have a Fuji 5100, and a Panasonic TZ3. Both are good point and shoots. I want something compariable to the old Minolta only digital (and automatic!). The Minolta gets great depth of field, and stop action (whatever the term is for that) and detail. I use Photo Impact Pro and Picture It. Is Photo Shop or something else better? Easier? I am not too good at learning how to do computer stuff
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom