Slugs, snails, ants? Will they eat these?

yep they will find them and eat 'em

I had a BAD big black ant problem till I got chickens... this past summer we took out a few trees because they were dead... the ants had taken up the core and were nesting there... we could not keep the chickens out of the wood pile... and slugs.. when we are in the garden i have a coffee can with me to pull the slugs off the plants and I have a heard of chickens fighting to get to the can

I haven't seen slugs/snails and our chickens in the same place yet so I don't know how they would react, but I bet they would eat them. I do find that our chickens leave ants, especially the tiny brown ones, alone. Much to my surprise. I figure they are too hard to pick up with their beaks?

Watching them go after crickets is one of my favorite past-times.

Mine refused slugs. I found a few this summer and they acted like I was trying to poison them
wink.png

Uh oh... one main reason my husband is up for getting chickens is to help control our snail and slug population. And the ants!
It sounds like hens are all a bit different as to what they like to eat, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Hope I can win him over with the entertainment value (as well as the eggs).

I would like you to know about the World's Safest and Best Slugs and Snail control device, it is called The Slugbell, it is child, pet and wildlife safe as it prevents the accidental picking up of the poison pellets, it is not affected by watering the garden and is rain proof, you can use organic or metaldehyde pellets but as they do not dissolve in the ground it keeps the Environment safe.
Have a look at the website www.slugbell.com

I must have some pleasure hogs... My best laying hen loves loves loves slugs and most any other bugs and insects.

Come to think of it every summer we have had unwanted ants sneaking in the house now that we have chickens I haven't seen a one in the house! If only the cats did as well with sneeky mice in the winter guess we will have to get some buckeye chickens to handle the mice.

Uh oh... one main reason my husband is up for getting chickens is to help control our snail and slug population. And the ants!
It sounds like hens are all a bit different as to what they like to eat, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Hope I can win him over with the entertainment value (as well as the eggs).
Chicken are all different as far as what they like for food. It took me over a year to talk my husband into letting me have chickens. He likes them know just like I do. LOL Good luck!!

My girls love snails and ants. Can't get them to do slugs. I guess they prefer the crunchy outside with the gooey center. I may try chopping a few slugs with scissors to see if they will change their mind.

Back
Top Bottom