Small Air sacs Day 17 - help please what to do!

J_Winstom

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Hello, Thanks for reading please help.

This is my first time hatching and I have small air sacs look - more like day 14 from charts.

I had incubator set to 45% first 13 days (as per instructions) then read lots and now realise lower would have been better.

Have tried to drop right down, bator is dry but won't go below 35% ish - have had it like that for last 4 days and they are getting bigger but still too small.

What should I do leave humidity low and keep candling? Put eggs in a carton, to hatch upright? Add air hole?.... Ahh think I have read too much and now have no idea what is the best thing to do...

Any help appreciated.

I would leave the humidity as it is and then up it during lockdown to prevent any shrink-wrapping. In my experience, humidity doesn't have to be as exact as it seems. I've been worried about humidity a lot and ended up with perfectly good hatches despite any perceived errors. Yours will probably be fine.

Don't change a thing. The air cells will probably drop during hatch and let in more air. Don't do a safety hole unless they have been internally pipped for over 24 hours, you risk shrinkwrapping if you make them too early. There isn't anything you can do at this point anyway. If your air cells looked day 7 then that would be worrisome, but only looking off by a few days is nothing to worry about IMO. Just cross your fingers and sit on your hands. ;)

The charts show at day 18 when the air cell draws down on one side. That makes a huge difference and I think once they've done that they'll look just right. You can leave the humidity low until you can see that one (or more) have pipped internally. You'll see a little shadow beak in the air cell when you candle. Just try and keep the egg in the same position it is in inside the incubator. Good luck with your hatch. Let us know how it goes.

Hi guys,

A couple of the cells have drawn down and are now looking a good size. Quite a few haven't shifted much, there are a few different types of eggs in there and the ones that haven't got larger are all leghorns, do you think it is the shell or could they be more likely to hatch later?

Is the only way to judge the internal pip through candling? Would you expect them to be around day 18?

Thanks again!

Hi guys,

A couple of the cells have drawn down and are now looking a good size. Quite a few haven't shifted much, there are a few different types of eggs in there and the ones that haven't got larger are all leghorns, do you think it is the shell or could they be more likely to hatch later?

Is the only way to judge the internal pip through candling? Would you expect them to be around day 18?

Thanks again!
I usually get internal pips on day 19. You will see the internal pip through candling. There will be a dark gray triangle moving around in the air cell. (the beak) I don't have any pics of it at the moment, but do a google search for "candling internal pip". Lots of pics should come up. I don't know about the leghorns, maybe they were just on a cooler end of the incubator or something.

Back
Top Bottom