small and slightly dumb question ...

adeechickluv

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
The feeder and waterer go in the run, right? I'm sorry I'm being so slow.
tongue.gif

I've heard they also should be raised? Would putting them on bricks work as well?
thanks
Adrienne

Last edited:
The feeder and waterer are usually placed in the run. Of course, you could put them in the coop if you wanted.
big_smile.png

And yes, bricks would work fine, as long as you make sure the feeder and waterer aren't going to fall off.

My feeder is in my coop, my waterer is in the run. The feeder is a trough style one so I chose to place it in the coop to keep it dry when it rains.

I don't have a "run" per say ( is 3 acres a run?
lol.png
) but my waterer is outside the coop, feeder is inside. . . Otherwise I'd have mushy swampfood for the boys and girls in a matter of seconds.
tongue.png

There are no dumb questions! I have food and water both in the run and the coop so there are always options for the less dominant hens. In the coop I keep the containers up on a couple of layers of 2x4'' scraps so they do not fill with wood shavings. In the run the water container either hangs by a rope or in cold weather it sits on a heater to keep it just above freezing. The outside feeder gets shifted around, depending on which way the rain is blowing. What a wet spring here in western Oregon! I keep checking to see if the chickens have sprouted webbing between their toes!

Hey Jeremy,

We use a couple of bricks, a cement block, or a wood plank to make a level spot for our water so that it does not leak during the day.

I get what you mean about keeping the layena dry. I like to keep 1 water in and 1 out, especailly with the weather lately, in case I don't let the girls out. I also worry that I will run late one morning and forget to let them out, that is my 2nd reason for leaving the water in.
I got my 1st Delaware this year, she is the biggest of my chicks, so lovely!
Go urban farmers!

Quote:
I agree! Umbrellas, anyone?

You all prove a point that I would have had to learn the hard way. I will keep my feeder inside. I have a bunch of scrap 2x4's so I'll put the feeder&waterer on top of those. Thanks for the help.

Adrienne

Quote:
Yup, we balance our water on cinder blocks, it seems to work out pretty well. It allows for fresh water by keeping it up off the ground.

How exciting that you got a Delaware chick! Have you posted pics on the Delaware thread? Delawares are my absolute favorite breed. I actually just put another dozen eggs in the incubator last night! Congrats on your baby and to being one of the sustainable urban farmers in the Bay Area!
smile.png

Not a dumb question at all! Thanks for asking it because I was also looking at the answers to decide where to keep my food and water.....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom