small bugs swarming my chickens? What are they?

I had posted on a different thread about flies on my hens, but on a second look - they are not files - they are maybe the same bug that bassfishr is having a problem with - these bugs are white and kind of look like a flying dog tick (they fly - not jump)- sounds strange, but thats what they look like to me - and another weird thing - they only bother my two black chickens - not my buff orps. I've tried DE and that doesn't work - if anyone knows what they are and how to get rid of them, please let me know.

Thanks!

I had a gazillion thrips flying around my coop last August-September for some reason, don't recall whether they bothered the chickens though.

Is there any chance of posting a photo? (I know it's hard to take pics of teeny things, but I don't think you've got a great shot at getting rid of them til you know what they are...)

Can you tell whether they have 2 pairs of wings or just 1?

Pat

I still have a little daylight left - going outside to try and catch some - be back...

well, that was like trying to catch a gnat with a pair of tweezers - no luck -

as I can tell, they have one pair of wings and four legs - they land on all parts of my chickens - back, tail and face. They don't seem to be doing anything except annoying my girls.

It's been so rainy here for the past few weeks and no sun - the run is a soggy mess - hopefully when it dries up the bugs will go away... I'll try again tomorrow.

If you want to try catching them again, try rigging up something vaguely net-like. Even an old pillowcase held open with your hands. Whoosh. Close. Swing around your head a time or two to knock anything inside down to the bottom end of it. Peek in to see if you got anything. If you did, close the bag right back up. Put in your freezer for an hour or two. THEN you can dump the bugs out and photo them
smile.png

Pat, nostalgic for graduate entomology course
tongue.png

Quote:
Pat, I think my chickens will have a heart attack and I can see my neighbors now - "That crazy chicken lady has lost her mind!"
lau.gif
They don't seem to be as bad today - it's dry and sunny today -thank goodness! I'll try and rig up a net tomorrow.

Thanks!

How about hanging one of those yellow fly tapes for a bit? (Out of reach of the chickens, of course!)

Back
Top Bottom