Small chick recovered from runny eye, first egg today :)

Most prefer the quick snip with scissors... They say it is pretty painless. Some pull of the head like a cork... Some use baking soda/vinegar...
hu.gif

I wish there was a click your heels and the chick disappears method.
hide.gif

She was really bad last evening-- scratching, scratching, scratching. Extremely watery and shaking it everywhere.
sad.png

Miss Lydia, yes, they've been exposed, but show absolutely no remotely similar symptoms. Of anything at all. It may not be contagious, but it's miserable beyond repair perhaps. Two more days.

Have you tried putting triple antibiotic cream around her eyes? It's really helping my chick. Her swelling went down and she's not scratching as much.
ya.gif

I tried a bit of Neosporin, but can't tell if it's working. It might sound crazy, but her eye seems to show improvement in the mornings, after I've had the warmest lamp on overnight. Also direct sun in the a.m.. Then at night, it seems unbearable for her. I'll keep trying, I suppose. If exposure to the rest has already happened, then there's no harm in experimenting with treatment. As long as she's not, in my opinion, unreasonably miserable.

On a positive note, we started on the gang's coop today-- a 6 x 8' in a lovely large run. The older ones should get to move out of boxville and into the nice nature soon.
smile.png

I'm so glad to hear yours is improving. Small victories, right?
big_smile.png
And thanks for being along for the ride with me on this one!

Last edited:
Update: An erythromycin topical ointment has cleared her eye. No more running at all for at least 24 hours. Sneezing dramatically reduced. I sent some photos to a vet friend who thinks it's probably a bacterial infection, not something contagious. Now just trying to clear up the sticky feathers and irritated skin.

Yes, thanks!
smile.png
How is your mama hen doing?

Can't be certain unless it's tested, but she mentioned that the other symptoms would *definitely* be present if it was one of those nasty ones.

Friends have commented that I've spent $30 trying to fix a $5 chicken, but I think it's important (especially for a newb) to learn about treatments, especially when the others need it down the road. I can say that Duramycin and Sulmet didn't work for this. Ciprofloxacin drops, Vetericyn, and erythromycin ophthalmic all seem to have helped.

chickeye.jpg

Great news and she looks so much better. My mama hen is still hanging in there. She is trying to move more and as long as she takes her time she manages pretty good. Her chicks have kept her going and I am pretty optomistic we're not dealing with Mareks. She is alert and has an appetite, just not steady on her legs. I haven't given up on her and pray daily for a miracle. We have so much to be thankful for. You can't put a price on peacefulness and thats what our chickens give us, or me anyway.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom