Small chick recovered from runny eye, first egg today :)

Quote:
Thanks, I'll pick some up. Don't have it around because I'm allergic to it. We're a great pair, eh?
hmm.png

Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes!
smile.png

The doc actually phoned it in and I picked it up: Ciprofloxacin Opyhalmic Solution 0.3%. One drop in her eye, and now she really isn't a big fan of me, but she's awake and munching away as usual. I have no idea how a chick can eat so much and not grow. Fighting the infection, I suppose. I really hope this works!

Last edited:
Aw... ^
smile.png

She started sort of doing this nervous (?) chattering last evening. Might be because she can't find her mates? She did make it through the night, and it may be me being optimistic, but her eye MAY look a tiny bit better. She eats, including some yogurt.

My concern is that after doing hours of research online, what if she has something more serious like MG or laryngomalacia? And that even if she does recover, she'll be a carrier. Opinions anyone?

(Edited due to pre-coffee gaffes.)

Last edited:
After she recovers then you will have to decide either to have a closed flock where nothing goes out or comes in or you cull. It is to the point but that is really our only option. but hopefully it isn't anything like that. I have a mama hen that is showing signs of mareks, [the unbalance part only] and she has 2 chicks that will be 3 weeks old this weekend, I haven't culled because i am trying to help her through what ever this is and because the rest of the flock has already been around her, and I really want to give her a chance in case it's something else. So it's very hard to know sometimes what to do. I have 30 plus chickens.
hit.gif

I agree. Kinda stinks to be initiated into chickendom through culling the first month, but if I must, at least I can get that experience over with sooner than later.
hmm.png

Argh, Mareks. I read about that. Is there a way that you can get a certain diagnosis? You have my sympathy... such tough decisions.

I have 12 hens (as far as I know there isn't a roo, lol), and only for eggs. I'll never breed them or sell. I can still add to the flock if it's "closed", yes?

She doesn't exhibit any of the other symptoms (difficulty breathing, runny nose). Only the runny eye and a little sneeze. She was in with the others for over a week, maybe two while her eye was runny, and the others seem very healthy and fine. Big appetite, very active. Just.... really small! Her eye is less runny today for sure, and she seems resigned to letting me dropper.

Thanks for all of your responses!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom