Small Chicken Coop (how inexpensive can you go)

You've got an excellent start! I just finished my coop this afternoon, all except the paint! Have fun!

We had a 3/4 full gallon of white exterior paint left over from something. So my wife used that as a base coat for the coop when she painted it. For the top final coat, we'll go buy yellow paint, and try to match the color of the other barns here on our property.

94470_100_1247.jpg

94470_100_1248.jpg

As for roofing on the coop. When we had bought this place, there was a stack of mismatched but new and un-used asphalt shingles, a roll of underlayment tar paper and some fiberglass insulation on a cart that had been left in one of the barns. So I'll use the roll of underlayment tar paper and the shingles for the roof of the little coop.
94470_100_1266.jpg

chickens coop in general can get very expensive. we spent about 2,000.00 on about all the wood, nails, fencing, paint, roofing materials. it can all just add up.
th.gif

we kept adding on and on and on ... ,then we got ducks.....etc. etc. etc.

Last edited:
Got the coop all painted, roofed and put together. We bought a gallon of exterior Yellow house paint. Once the coop was painted, it turned out a lighter shade than our existing buildings (bummer) There is still about a half gallon of paint yet in the can. So I'll see if I can get a little more tint added to the left over paint, to try to match our buildings better, and then do one more coat on the coop.

94470_100_1267.jpg

Here the tar paper and drip edge is on the roof, shingles are next.

94470_100_1273.jpg

Shingles are on, Added the door, window and nest box lid.

94470_100_1274.jpg

The wife wanted the door to look like a barn door. So I bought four pieces of wood-lath, cut it up and trimed the door with it.

94470_100_1275.jpg

94470_100_1276.jpg

Back wall cross flow vent window.

94470_100_1277.jpg

I even used an old wooden thread spool for the door knob.

$ .80 Wood lath (door trim)
$20.00 Exterior paint
$10.00 Roofing drip edge
$ 2.00 Roofing nails
$ 1.00 Hook-eye clasp (to keep nest box lid shut)

So far, other than lots of time, we have a total of $87.00 into the little coop.

I do have to make it mobile yet, I'll see what I can come up with.

You two did such an amazing job! My boyfriend too works with metal ( Casting,Welding,Fabrication, Forging.... anything) with his two partners. He and another friend of ours built the coop we are using now
smile.png
I think you metal workers have more wood working/building skills than you give yourself credit for!
wink.png
Awesome job!!

Your wife is lucky... And you are one handy man! lol

I've never seen a budget this good. My boyfriend would have given up after pulling the pallets apart.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom