small chicken feeder (don't know if anyone else has had this experience)

justduckiehere

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 30, 2012
came home from town and dh went to fill our three week old pullets and they had knocked over the small plastic mason jar like feeder and bottom had seperated from the red plastic with holes for them to eat feed. So picking it up he noticed something in it and lo and behold a chicks butt is protruding...she is stuck in there....he carefully sawed the top off and she seems no worse for wear...but we were pretty frantic for a little while there. Has this happened to anyone else...or is our household the only one that there is never a dull moment?
anyway just a heads up...watch those bottoms :)

Your post is a very good warning to new chick owners who are likely unaware of the possibility of something like this happening. I too had a similar experience that I wrote in a review on this site entitled Four Friendly Pullets regarding my new Delawares. I was very startled when I saw this happen because I had a glass jar and if I had been unable to extract the chick, then breaking the jar would have been the only other option and I shudder to think of the effect that would have had on the poor chick. Fortunately, this can only happen to young,small chicks and I believe that most new chick owners love to watch their birds often, as I do, which will prevent harm coming to them via their inherent curiosities.

Back
Top Bottom