Small comb, non broody, layer suggestions?

floodthelast

Songster
6 Years
Jul 6, 2016
Green Ohio
I have had trouble with frostbite despite traditional measures to stop it. I have a pre existing cinder block coop that isn't well insulated and is partly built into a hill so gets seepage when it rains or snow melts. I added a heat lamp last year and a thermo cube and that seemed to help a lot but I don't want any large comb breeds.
I am looking for birds with small combs to make sure they do ok in spite of things as my other rose combs have been fine. Unfortunately a large number of my girls seem to go broody and in an all girl flock this is useless. I need better egg production! Any suggestions? (I am continuing to fight the insulation and damp conditions but I want my hens to be as safe as possible.)

646FE8D4-5768-4929-8353-0BA7D5329B93.png

This list from Fresh Eggs Daily is pretty much what I can think of and agree with, except, if you get a lot of wet weather then I’d stay away from feather legged breeds; the feathers stay wet and can cause issues. Marans, Sussex, Orpingtons are all known for broodiness off the list. There’s really nothing you can do but break them though, unless you buy some hybrid layers, it’s all down to hormones, season and personality.

Maybe a rose comb leghorn if you're mainly after non-broody egg producers? Wyandottes and dominiques are also classic hardy rose comb breeds. I'm sure certain lines lay better than others.

I know you can find rose comb brown leghorns for really reasonable prices. There are other cold hardy breeds but I think you're on the right track finding some with small combs, given the coop. Best of luck!

Thank you, I usually order from Meyers hatchery and am hoping to order more soon. I'm definitely looking at the Barnevelder, Wyandotte, and plymouth rock. I was thinking about a polish just for fun too. I have a Buckeye and Favorolle and Speckled sussex. The first two of those are still young and I want to see how they do this year before getting more. The speckled sussex were great but one of mine had a very large comb. (A dog got it). Both sussex did have trouble with frostbite until I added a heat lamp above the roost. My remaining SS did fine last winter but she has a small comb.

Maybe a rose comb leghorn if you're mainly after non-broody egg producers? Wyandottes and dominiques are also classic hardy rose comb breeds. I'm sure certain lines lay better than others.

I know you can find rose comb brown leghorns for really reasonable prices. There are other cold hardy breeds but I think you're on the right track finding some with small combs, given the coop. Best of luck!
I didn't know there were rose comb leghorns, how cool. I'll look into the dominiques since you mentioned them. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom