Small Coop in the urban area

renge

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
Makati
my first chick is coming this week! hooray!! the brooder box is ready, the food and water is waiting and the only thing i forgot was... YES! the chciken coop! :| i'm still working on it(sadly still in the planing part) but since it's vacation, i have all day to build
big_smile.png
but i just cant get the plan out D: guys please help me!!!

1) whats better for a small backyard coop in a urban area? A-frame or a rectangle coop? why?
-i would most probobly just have three to four chcikens
big_smile.png

2)should i floor the run with wood shavings or only the coop itself??

3)what wood is best for building coops??
-the thickness and type

4)do i still have to put vetilation holes in the coop??

i think thats all for now! THANK YOU!! will upload some pictures of a "model coop" i made out of carboard and scrap material. it's 1:10 in ratio
big_smile.png
any way THANK YOU AGAIN!!
big_smile.png

thank you for the reply!!
big_smile.png
going through, and love you blog ^^it's a pity that i wont be able to provide much rural greens for my baby, but i want them to atleast have all the things they need
big_smile.png

1) whats better for a small backyard coop in a urban area? A-frame or a rectangle coop? why?

Personal preference. Design a coop that matches your personality. I've seen fancy to utilitarian, no paint to 5-star paint jobs. It's your coop and as long as you're conforming to code, who other than you should care.

2) should i floor the run with wood shavings or only the coop itself?

My house floor is pine shavings over linoleum. The run is natural dirt/sand mix. I'll throw grass clippings in to give the chickens something to play in.

3) what wood is best for building coops?

I used pressure treated but some people are weary if the wood is older since it could be arsenic treated and not copper treated. Stay away from cedar as it releases oils as it ages and the oil creates a respiratory problem for the chickens. Dimensionally, I didn't use anything less than a 2x4 on the vertical framing. I used 2x6's on the house floor joists and roof rafters.

4) do i still have to put ventilation holes in the coop?

always ventilation. more than you think you need. your breed selection should be appropriate for your location. humidty and stale air is bad news for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom