Small open coop is done

It's such a nice coop & your birds are amazing. Please, please take some well meaning advice and secure your coop.

"There are no raccoons in Chicago, because I haven't seen any." Puhleezzz!

There are racoons in Chicago, but like I said for SOME reason I dont know why, their are not any near me.I live in a very populated area about 10 mins from downtown.There are no forests or preserves near me.In winter they all come inside.I wouldnt leave them outside in a chicago winter, it's always below freezing. With all the work I put into the coop, I wouldnt even have wasted my time if I felt it wouldnt be good enough for them.

Last edited:
Only takes one time for something to get into your yard that you are not expecting. Even owls could swoop down......

It's a very cute coop......and your birds are beautiful!!

Love the coop and your chickens are so cute. I would put it up on legs, and please do put a door on it. You can use poultry screen on a frame and latch to the front. What will you do for winter? There are lots of predators that live in the city that you hardly ever see, Like skunks and feral cats' coons, Rats. wild dogs. If they are hungry enough they will get in the pen. I wish you all the luck.

From sunny Arizona
D.gif

i sure hope you don't feel picked on. You posted to show your coop and we all think it's wonderful. You are obviously a very caring chicken owner and have put a lot of thought into their comfort and keeping them safe. And it's because we all love our chickens that the advice is being given to add a door. Shouldn't be too hard. You are obviously very gifted when it comes to building (unlike me). Because it only takes one minute for one predator you hadn't counted on to come in and wipe out your flock. And no one wants that.

Okay, enough said. Adorable birds, really nice coop. You can add a door or not. Your discretion. Thanks so much for sharing.
smile.png

Quote:
If you want to know what class they are, you just have to weigh them..
You may know someone with a food or postal scale..they are cheap anyway.

http://www.scnaonline.org/standards_and_judging.php

I think your coop is cute! I love red!!

Just wanted to add, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!"
I'd put a door on it....just in case! You never know!! Murphy's Law and all that....

No racoons or anything here eighter, but a couple of days after we put the covered chicken run in, something tried to breach it one night, but thank God my chickens were in a closed coop, and I am in a rural area. Chicks look great!

I highly recommend keeping the seramas indoors over winter, im just a 7 hour drive from where you are and it gets darn cold lol. I would guess it would only be a matter of time before coons or other predators smell the chickens and come for them. For what it's worth I'd be putting a door on the coop. Not trying to stir the pot here just my opinion is all. The seramas are adorable, they continue to grow up until they are 9 months old or in my case a year old. My original quad started out tiny at 3 months old, here we are over a year later and the boys who started out b class one is a D weighing 21oz and the other finished out a C at 18 1/2 oz the girls one turned out a C and the other is an A. Awesome breeds you have there
big_smile.png
And a nice coop too!!! I have 2 hens with the same name as your ebony and ivory, one is a white light brahma/cochin mix and the other is a small black serama pullet
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom