Small rant - don't round up my restaurant check!

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
My personal peeve!!!!

If I go to any store and my bill is $47.52, I expect to get $2.48 change when I hand them $50. At most restaurants these days, my change is only $2.00. I bet those same waiters and waitresses would complain at Wal-Mart if they got shorted 48 cents. Whenever this happens, and it happens frequently, I will call the manager over, like I did last night, and call the waiter/waitress over, too. Last night I explained to them both that the food was excellent the service was flawless, but I cannot abide being short-changed! I am an excellent tipper, but short me and I will short your tip.

Am I being unreasonable? I have my own business and go around the southern states to bird shows and fairs. If I even tried to round up the bill to my customers, they would never allow it! It's just the food service industry. Most waiters and waitresses work hard and deserve their tips, but they shouldn't be allowed to make that "extra" by short-changing customers.

Okay, my rant is over!

I would pop a blood vessel if they ever did that to me, truthfully. I tip at 20-25% for good service, roughly 18 % for bad - No way I would stand for somebody short changing me EVER

ANd - it's illegal

IMO

Edited to say that I was a waitress for over 25 years off and on - and never did that to anyone, bad tipper or not! (And I'm not saying you are a bad tipper)

Last edited:
Never heard this being done.I will have to ask my dh about it since he is OTR most times.I would be very upset.Shoot even my ds(9) expects that proper change even if it is only 2 pennies!

They did this to my fiancée at Tim Hortons (Canada's dunkin' doughnuts) and they rounded it up by .02 cents, and normally, we wouldn't care, but this girl was bad mouthing work with a co-worker right in front of us. We waited at the drive through after she had already handed us everything but the change. She looked at us like "YES?" My fiancée interjected with, "you shouldn't just assume that our pennies are your tip, it's very rude." The girl turned red, and said "most people don't want their pennies back."

I was trying very hard not to bolt out of the car in embarrassment.
roll.png

I have never had that happen ~ in fact our local Ma & Pa pizza place regularly rounds down your bill. For example if you are due 47 cents change they give you 50 cents instead ~ and this is a small place with counter service and only a tip jar.

Check the next time you go to a steak house like Outback, Texas Roadhouse, and others. They round up almost every time we go.

For those of you complaining of this; No offense meant, but why are you complaining here? The proper place would have been at the place of business when the petty theft occurred. My approach, when such things happen is to ask to speak to the manager, and state my complaint in a loud, clear voice in front of the rest of his customers. This method accomplishes three things:

1. It alerts him to a situation that he may not be aware of.
2. If he is/was aware that this was happening it makes it abundantly clear that it is not an acceptable way of doing business.
3. It alerts other customers to the situation, (many people don't count their change) and encourages them to complain.

For those who feel that I am to harsh, think about it. It is ROBBERY(!) plain and simple.
somad.gif

Aside: The terms "he" and "him" I use in their generic, non-sexist sense. God forbid that I be non-PC.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom