smart birds you be the judge

smom1976

too many projects too little time!
11 Years
May 2, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Ok so finally people are looking at my coop and posting.. but they dont appreciate any of the work I have done at all!

Today it is raining...

Do they go in their coop....

NOOOOOO! They are all huddled in a corner of the pen area paralized by the falling rain..

what is the deal they go in their coop when it is hot.. because of the white roof it is much cooler..

they go into their coop at night to sleep in their box..

so I chase them all in the coop . this wasnt easy.. as I would put one in it would run right back out.. I got to tossing chicks into the coop.. (not hard) faster than they were running out.. (mind you I am getting all wet from the rain)

It started raining more.. so I go to check on them.. what are they all doing .... Out in the rain, huddled in a corner...

So I went out there again.. putting them in their coop.. I swear that will be the last time.. .... well maybe the last time..

what is the deal??

How long have they been in the new enclosure? It takes a while before they realize its home. If its not too hot, you could shut them in the coop for a couple of days so they'll understand that they're supposed to go in there.

perhaps they were weirded out by the sound of the rain on the coop roof, it being unfamiliar to them?

(they WILL get used to it, I promise. Try keeping them shut in there during a good long rainstorm or rainy day.)

If it was still hot, they may even have preferred being outside. Horses are like that. Build a $5k run-in shed for them, and what do they do? Stand outside getting drenched. They prefer it. They're not like you and me
smile.png

Pat

Howdy-since I am new at this and I have no idea how to post my own post, I thought I would try here.-------My chickens love me, they watch me in the house, listen for my voice and all day they poop outside by patio door. They have a half acre but spend the day by the patio door pooping. I heard that there is a plant that repells them, a plant that they hate the smell of....any ideas cuz Im knee deep in poop--Thanks

Quote:
You can start a topic of your own (which would be a good idea if you want this answered) by going into whichever forum applies -- I would suggest 'everything else chicken' -- and looking towards the upper right-hand corner for a button that says "post new topic". Click that
smile.png

Good luck and welcome to BYC,

Pat

It came a huge storm here the other day. I figured all my chickteenagers would be hiding in their house, but no they were still strutting around as ususal. It's been so hot, I think they enjoyed a cool shower.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom