Smelly saliva

Chickensinramona

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2019
I have a chicken that is definitely not herself. She has been broody before so I wasn’t too concerned with her being fluffed up and staying inside the coop. however when I go outside to feed them I always make sure she gets out of the coop to get food and water. My chickens are free range but have access to their coop and yard that is fenced. I have been watching her eat and it seems like she’s just interested in food and pecks at the ground occasionally. She will scratch but she’s definitely not consuming. I picked her up today just to examine her mouth to see if anything was wrong and I noticed that she has stringy saliva and it is foul smelling. Her crop is empty and her abdomen feels fine. A few days ago I had to wash her butt because she seem to have quite a bit fecal matter on it. But that might be because when she sleeps she chooses the flat top of the nesting box and not on the rposts like the other chickens. So she essentially poops on herself when she’s in the coop. Since cleaning her a few days ago she has stayed clean.

Any ideas? I have read through quite a few posts and have been able to determine what it is not but can’t narrow it down to what it is. It definitely smells like an infection. All she wants to do is stay in the coop. She is mobile and will walk around and doesn’t seem to be in distress but something just isn’t right.

Back
Top Bottom