smoked quail?

ChickenChaps

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Malabar, FL
Wonderin if anybody ever smoked quail? If so, how do you do it? Same as grill? Spice it, wrap with bacon, cook?
My BF just finished building a UDS (ugly drum smoker). I'm thinkin of trying some smoked quail.
smile.png

smoker-1.jpg

Quote:
I cooked one once... Your on the right track.... rub'em up good, bacon is your friend too. It'll help keep'em moist. Wrap the legs good, them be'n smaller they cook and dry out quicker than the breast. Pig fat rules when it comes to taste and render'in out to keep your bird moist! Run your pit about 300 or 325, likely hotter than you run it for pig or cow, but trust me here. You run low and slow with quail like you would for a big hunk of meat, and it'll come out like a tasty boot for sure.

Truthfully thou, I generally cook mine on the grill, not a big of risk of dryin out. I feel most birds and barnyard avian should cooked so hot and fast, their eyes are still blink'in when you pull'em off the grate. Takes some practice to get a quail done in the breast and not burn the rest up. The bacon helps here thou. If you own a rotisserie, this is a great place to use it... Good luck, Bill

Ah, good info. Thanks. So at that high a temp, how long would it take? Id think not long - so it really wouldnt get that much smokey flavor? hence you comment to just grill them... Ive grilled them and they are fantastic. Was just thinking this would be something different good.
smile.png

Thanks! Ill try it and report in.
smile.png

Quote:
May be able to smoke'm for little more than a hr, but that depends alot on your pit and bird too. a brined bird cooks quicker. It takes some trial runs to get it down on your set up. Best thing is even the ones that aint purfect, are still purdy darn tasty!! Getter Done! Bill

Is this big enough?
lol.png
This is his "Wild Pig" smoker he built from (scratch) 2 propane tanks. Cooking in the horizontal and vertical sections, fire box at the bottom of the vertical.
He built the UDS for small cooks.
smile.png
Its supposedly extremely efficient - being able to maintain temps for 12+ hours unattended.
smile.png

000_2092.jpg

Now that could cook a TONS of quails!
cool.png

Quote:
OHHH, FORGET the quail, that pits built for cook'n HOG!!! Good Job!! Bill

I am now envisioning a pig with a quail in its mouth...

possibilities are plumb endless aint they!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom