Smokey color gene in chickens?

KAGs waterfowl

Chirping
Feb 24, 2021
So, I’ve seen pictures of Smokey colored chickens and understand they breed dominant to dominant white, but how do you get this gene? Is it from breeding dominant white to some other color? What is the gene caused by? Really like Smokey colored birds, as they resemble a blue, but are true-breeding (homozygous) like a lavender.
Thank you!

Here’s a picture of a pullets I found online:
F7D9D5EB-1A2F-49D2-80F0-E9134995FDB4.jpeg

Smokey is an allelic mutation of the dominant gene, there are three known mutations on that allele and one wildtype counter part. i+/i+ which is wildtype(black),

I/I which is dominant white(which is actually co-dominant) I^D/I^D which is Dun and is a incomplete dominant mutation(as opposed to the co-dominance of dominant white)

Smokey I^S/I^S it's recessive to dominant white.

i+/i+ : keeps black feathers, normal gold tone
I/i+ : Turns black feather white, with some black specks on white feathers, keeps gold untouched
I/I : Turn black feathers All white and fades gold feathers at least one shade from original

I^D/i+ Turns black feather Dun/Chocolate and keeps gold untouched
I^D/I^D : Turns black feathers to a khaki color keeps gold untouched
I/I^D : Turns black feather white, with some chocolate specks on white feathers, keeps gold untouched

I/I^S : Turns black feather white, with some grey specks on white feathers, keeps gold untouched
I^D/I^S : Unknown but most likely a Platinum color
I^S/I^S : Turns black feathers a grey/smokey color and keeps gold untouched
I^S/i+ : Researchers said that it's partially dominant over wildtype i+

Last edited:
Smokey is an allelic mutation of the dominant gene, there are three known mutations on that allele and one wildtype counter part. i+ which is wildtype(black), I which is dominant white(which is actually co-dominant) I^D which is Dun and is a incomplete dominant mutation(as opposed to the co-dominance of dominant white) and Smokey I^S, it's recessive to dominant white
That is much better than my answer! You're amazing when it comes to genetics!

Back
Top Bottom