Smoky Mtn East TN

Hi from S Knoxville.
frow.gif
My husband and I and our two dogs: Rosie - retired racing greyhound & Lola - TN mountain feist rescue, are new to TN, new to chicken raising, and new to the forum. Just started our flock with 4 Barred Rocks from Poultry Hollow. They are now 14 weeks so we are anxiously awaiting our first eggs. In the mean time, we are working with the dogs to not harass the new girls.
droolin.gif

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
& thanks for stopping by. Congrats on your new chickens. Those first eggs seem to take so loooong to start.

tnchickenut- Shame on you!
smack.gif
Fish do not hold a feather to chickens! Good luck on selling your feathered kids, I know how hard it is to let them go. I think mine are either here for the long haul or headed off to freezer camp. IMO freezer camp is better than selling to people where than can be mistreated, shuffled from sale to sale, etc.

ETA: there is a show this weekend in Cocke county at the fairgrounds.

Last edited:
frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
& thanks for stopping by. Congrats on your new chickens. Those first eggs seem to take so loooong to start.

tnchickenut- Shame on you!
smack.gif
Fish do not hold a feather to chickens! Good luck on selling your feathered kids, I know how hard it is to let them go. I think mine are either here for the long haul or headed off to freezer camp. IMO freezer camp is better than selling to people where than can be mistreated, shuffled from sale to sale, etc.

ETA: there is a show this weekend in Cocke county at the fairgrounds.

Heck, you know unless someone comes along that I really know and wants them, they are here for good. Especially the hens. I have never processed a hen and don't think I ever could. And trust me, I have some useless hens. LOL

Ok so a new mite update they are loosing feathers and have took a huge turn got the ivermetic pour on today at tractor supply and I need pointers on how to use it for chickens? anyhelp

Well I am glad you are okay! I just used the Ivermctin pour on last week on mine. I use 1/2 cc/ml in a syringe without the needle. I have my husband hold them, I lift the feathers on their neck almost to their shoulders, make sure you get it on the skin or it will not work (or at least not as well) and repeat in 7-10 days. All of my chickens are large fowl and my really large Orps get a little more maybe 3/4 cc/ml. This is how I treat mine. I also wear latex gloves when I am doing this to keep it out of my system.

After you treat them be sure and clean the coop really well: soap & bleach water or Oxine. I spray my coop with Permethrin mixed with water. The directions are on the label. You can also use the Permethrin on your chickens but don't know the dosage right off & imo the Ivermectin works better plus it takes care of some worms (if they have any). I lock my chickens out of the coop and let it air dry for several hours then put down fresh bedding (I like mostly cedar mixed with pine but some people advise against cedar) and finally I sprinkle Sevin dust on top of the bedding. Make sure when you spray and dust the coop to get the roost/s really good,its where the mites hide & travel to get on your chickens.

This is how I do it. It may not be the best or proper way but it works for me. I say treat however you like and with what's most comfortable for you.

Finally there is an egg with holding time. I usually do not eat the eggs for at least a week after the last treatment (so I am without eggs for a couple of weeks).

Heck, you know unless someone comes along that I really know and wants them, they are here for good. Especially the hens. I have never processed a hen and don't think I ever could. And trust me, I have some useless hens. LOL

So does this mean you want my old geriatric hens? I was planning on making stock out of them or at least letting my mother-in-law eat them. LOL

Hey folks!
frow.gif

Just wondering if anyone is going to the show in Newport? I would love to meet some of you or see some of you again. I will be there and a few others are suppose to be there from last year. I am showing for the first time and very nervous. Seramas are not color bred, but they are making us choose a color they are closest to for open showing this year. I will probly get DQ'd for color, but I am gonna give it a try.

Anyway, I hope to see some of you there.
big_smile.png

I will be selling some Serama (mille fleur) chicks and some Black D'uccles (split to lavender). IF anyone is looking or knows someone that is...send them my way. THX!
smile.png

Last edited:
Lunar-
frow.gif
& thanks for stopping by. I will be there tomorrow. I am meeting up with a friend, hopefully. No buying or selling on my part, just want to see the birds. Maybe I will see you there. Good luck with showing & good luck selling your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom