Smooth silkie leg injury please help!

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me last year, she just started limping real bad, holding the leg up under her, the works.

The first day she was just sitting in her coop, didn't even want to come out, just ruffled up, and for a few days after the injury would hop, limp very badly, toes curled in, leg pulled / tucked all the way up under her, she'd try to hop on one leg, not using that one, or stick it out at like a wierd angle, trying to use it as a balance so i don't fall over but don't put pressure on it...

she was like this for a good week or so. Eventually she'd put it down a bit, then walk on it a bit, then limp a bit, then try to use it hobble on it. Overall it took her about 2 months to I guess you could say fully get over it.

Keep an eye on her VERY WELL for the first day or two. Make sure that is ALL that is wrong, you don't see anything else going down hill, bleeding starting, or horrible bruising going gangrene or anything like that.

Also, make sure the other birds are not picking on her too badly. I was lucky, the rest of my girls left her alone, but if there is a fuss, or nastiness, quarantine her for as long as until she can at least stand on it and walk a bit, then try to put them back together.

Keep hugging her, keep feeding her, keep a good eye for about a week for any additional issues cropping up to.. whatever happened, and hopefully she will be fine.

In retrospect I think what happened to mine is she smashed her foot under something heavy, it crushed / dragged over her foot.

Today you could not ever tell she was injured but for a bit it will look horrible. Chickens are tough birds, and she should pull thru fine.

Im so sorry your little sweetie got hurt, please let us know how it goes with her.

aaron

Did they pass it

Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Can you start some B complex vitamins 1/4 tablet daily in case of a deficiency? Does her injured leg seem numb? Is she putting some weight on the leg and using her wings to help balance?
No she wasn't vaccinated I breed her myself I have other hens vaccinated though you can't buy chicken vaccines anywhere. Her parents aren't vaccinated either.

My flock was already infected with the leucosis virus. Normally, chicks introduced into a leucosis flock develop resistance to it, and while they will carry the virus, they can remain asymptomatic for most, if not all, their lives. Marek's is different in that respect. Exposed chicks almost always become symptomatic with Marek's.

Back
Top Bottom