Snacks for youngins

AMSpsg18

Songster
11 Years
Jan 13, 2009
Somersworth NH
My girls are almost 2 weeks old and I was wondering if there were any snacks they could start having now. I would really like to give them something to stimulate them other than the obvious holding them. Any awesome ideas? Thanks!

I raise small meal worms the babies love them as well as the adults
smile.png

Be sure to give them chick grit when you introduce regular foods.

I gave mine, 3 weeks old, meal worms yesterday and chopped up grapes today. At first they were not even a little bit interested in the grapes -- next thing I knew the grape dish was empty. Be sure they have access to grit.

I've heard tomatoes are good as is melon

The other thing I did to give them something to do was to put a small cardboard box in with them -- a door has been cut in the front -- they roost on it, nest in it, play keep-away in it. Just like little kids, there's nothing so much fun as a box.

Something else I am trying right now is a cake pan of sand. They aren't really dust bathing, but they do seem to enjoy kicking the sand. I so LOVE these chicks -- more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Jenny

Quote:
Chick grit is smaller than regular grit. I have given chicks adult grit in the past, I broke it up a bit with a mortar and pestle so it was a smaller size. Some people use sand too. If you don't have clean "new" sand you can pour boiling water on it to kill any bugs and germs.

Back
Top Bottom