Snakebit Dog, He's OK. Benadryl Worked? Snake Pic WARNING Copperhead!

Quote:
^
^
^
^
That's exactly what the vet said. A mad, harassed snake is worse than a snake who was suddenly disturbed. More venom is accumulated when they are antagonized. He also pointed out the the copperhead is the least venomous of the venomous snakes in SC, and more survivable.

Tiger seems to be doing fine. I was told to continue the Benadryl for several more days and watch carefully for infection or necrotic tissue. The vet knows me well enough that he knows I will be all over that dog for months! I do have amoxicillin on hand if needed.

The little guy is eating and drinking well, the swelling is almost completely gone and he is his usual frisky self.

Talked to DH about the fenced yard, and he agrees that we need to remove the most inviting snake habitats, i.e. the anise tree grove. Groan.... that's a lot of work. But worth it.

I had to be squeezed into today's schedule, but I do intend to pursue a "rescue kit" further.
The vet's really good at emailing answers to my questions.

Thanks to all for the input!

Thanks, I am going to watching him VERY carefully! While I hack down anise trees!

I'm glad he is doing so well and the vet liked what you've done so far. Be careful while whacking those trees. Is there rain in the forecast soon? I don't remember where you live but is the area isolated enough from woods that you could burn out the grove? (instead of having to get in it and possibly risk snakes yourself)

I tried reading over all the post and I didnt see it. Its been on the news here a lot, but its a rattlesnake vaccination for dogs. I havent read too much into it(been super busy) but here is a link I found. http://www.doggienews.com/2005/02/rattlesnake-venom-vaccinations.htm Im not sure if it works just for rattlesnakes or other snakes as well. I hear them talking about it for dogs and I wonder if it would work with cats as well. You might try checking into it, just incase.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the woods are too close. And there are several big oaks overhead. The grove is a good 40' x 40', so it will take a while. Especially since I will be going very slowly, scanning every inch before I move! I really don't want to get bitten! Paranoia is only one of my many talents, but it's been honed to a sharp edge! Just like my machete!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I have checked it out, since we are an hour from the nearest vet. I asked the regular vet, and he said it's pretty controversial still, and probably not worth it at this time. I am keeping an eye on it, thanks for the link!

I'll bet your dog will be wary of snakes from now on - copperhead bites hurt like heck! (personal experience) Most doctors don't want to give the anti-venom unless there's respiratory distress because it's made from horse products which can cause an allergic reaction worse than the snake bite. With people and dogs the farther away from your heart that you're bit the better off you are.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom