Sneak in baby chick.

HalpMeh

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2017
Somewhere Southern
Hey everyone! I was wondering if it would be okay to sneak baby chicks under my hen, while she’s in her nest. Could she raise them? She’s a silkie and my other chickens are silkies. Would they be safe if I did that? Or should I just raise them myself?

Is she on the nest because she is broody or are you thinking to do so while she is in the nest for laying? The former often works, the latter will most likely result in dead chicks even with broody prone breeds like your girl.

Is she on the nest because she is broody or are you thinking to do so while she is in the nest for laying? The former often works, the latter will most likely result in dead chicks even with broody prone breeds like your girl.
We were thinking that we could just slip the chicks in while she was sitting on eggs.

x 2 to this.

A sitting hen does not necessarily mean a broody hen. Broodiness (the inclination to incubate and raise chicks) is a hormonal thing so if the hen isn't actually broody, she will not be 'switched on' to baby raising mode so the chicks will be seen as, at best, an invader in her territory and at worst, a tasty snack! If she is sitting just because she has recently laid an egg, you're out of luck, but if she has gone broody and has been sitting a good while....at least a week to ten days, preferably more, you could get away with it if you slip them under her at night but they would need to be no more than two or three days old because otherwise THEY could also see HER as a threat!

Only if she is brooding. This means she is not leaving nest at all excepting once a day to poop and eat. If she's just spending a long time on nest to lay and not actually brooding then she won't raise the chicks and they would be at risk. If brooding then slip them under her at night.

As the others have said already, if she is broody it may work but I would keep a close eye on them because it’s by no means guaranteed that she’ll accept them. Best of luck and please do let us know how you get on.

This just sounds too risky... There's a chance it might work, but a greater chance it would fail. I wouldn't do it, but it's an interesting idea that, in concept, makes perfect sense.

Back
Top Bottom