sneezing and a runny nose (watery)

PhoenixOfNyx

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 9, 2014
Louisville, KY
So I took this duck, Splish, in as a rescue. I've raised outside ducks before on a small farm , never inside. I was holding him and doing research on him when he started sneezing and had a running nose. It looks like water, but I'm not sure. I'm afraid he has a respiratory infection. I've only had him two days, and he swims just fine and eats all my bread (I haven't been able to get out to buy duck food yet) preens normally and poops just fine. I was going to take him to my aunt's but my husband decided he wanted to keep him. Any and all help will be appreciated thank you

So I took this duck, Splish, in as a rescue. I've raised outside ducks before on a small farm , never inside. I was holding him and doing research on him when he started sneezing and had a running nose. It looks like water, but I'm not sure. I'm afraid he has a respiratory infection. I've only had him two days, and he swims just fine and eats all my bread (I haven't been able to get out to buy duck food yet) preens normally and poops just fine. I was going to take him to my aunt's but my husband decided he wanted to keep him. Any and all help will be appreciated thank you

You are right to be concerned about respiratory infection. I know you said you haven't been able to get out for proper feed, but you really need to do so and stop feeding the bread - this is even more important with a bird who is showing signs of being compromised as proper nutrition is part of the supportive care that will help in the recovery process - and insufficient nutrition (bread) only adds to the body's overall stress and lessens the ability to recover. Even with a healthy bird the bread diet would be a concern, but it is doubly so with an ill bird.
How does the breathing sound - is the chest rattly? Is there any discharge from the eyes - are the eyes clear and bright or dull?

His breathing sounds fine and his eyes are bright and he's very alert. I'm going to get actual food for him today. I know bread doesn't suffice when an animal needs nutrients. It was just to hold him over until I got paid.

His breathing sounds fine and his eyes are bright and he's very alert. I'm going to get actual food for him today. I know bread doesn't suffice when an animal needs nutrients. It was just to hold him over until I got paid.
Also put some Apple Cider vinegar in his drinking water and make sure the bowl or bucket you use is deep enough for him to wash out his nares and eyes. 1-2 Tablespoons to 1 gal of water. As Ol Grey Mare says proper nutrition is very important. Beautiful duck, hope since you've decided to keep him/her you'll get it a duck friend they do so much better if they have one of their own to interact with

AND Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Is it possible that I have my house too cold for him? I usually keep it around 73° F
Do I need to turn it up?
Looks completely feathered in so I wouldn't think at 73* your house would be too cold. Did you try giving some ACV in his water? and remember ducks[water fowl] need to be able to dunk their heads to clean out their nares and eyes.for their health. Poultry vitamins would also be a good thing right now to get his immune system going strong.And there's is always the chance you may have to try an oral antibiotic. when you listen to his breathing do you hear rattling or wheezing? I'd keep the antibiotic as last resort though unless you are noticing other symptoms like not eating, depressed, listless, discharge from eyes along with nares. poop looking off.

His breathing is normal and he has a full sized pot to drink,out of and play in,when he's not in,the tub. I haven't been able to get any AVC yet but he seems to be getting better

His breathing is normal and he has a full sized pot to drink,out of and play in,when he's not in,the tub. I haven't been able to get any AVC yet but he seems to be getting better

Okay now remeber this ducks[water fowl] drink alot and get water in their nares that runs out, so maybe this is what your seeing? just a thought. I put 1 Tab of ACV into my flocks buckets every other night, it helps kill bacteria and is a great tonic. so hopefully you can pick some up. Glad to hear your seeing improvements. and getting him and friend will help too they really need flock members to keep them happy.
Good update !

Back
Top Bottom