sneezing and foaming discharge from eyes. posible coryza?javascript:in

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gunny, Jul 8, 2010.

1. gunny

gunny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2009
    Fallbrook
    My flock is sick. They are around 1 year old and about 3 weeks ago a few of them started sneezing. I cleaned the coup and gave them Sulmet for 3 days. for one day after that they stopped sneezing so I thought I cured them but the next day sneezing again. The guy at the feed store told me to try Duramycin-10 and I have been doing that for 3 days now with no improvement. Today I noticed my rooster has a foamy discharge in the corner of his eyes. So I have some questions. Is this a symptom of any other disease besides Coryza? If so what and were do I get to cure them. I realize this stays with them for a lifetime but I want them to feel better. I just need to figure out how to diagnose and what to treat with.. Thanks:(

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Have you tried doing a search on here for coryza? I know there is quite a bit of information about here.
    I certainly hope this isn't what your birds have.
    I THINK you can treat it with Vet RX or Tylan-I'm sorry I can't remember which.
    Good luck to you.

3. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you research the symptoms most resp. illnesses have pretty much the same basic symptoms.

Is this Coryza? I really doubt it as Coryza has a fairly high mortality rate and going on this long chances are there would be no flock left. Coryza has also got a very bad oder to it as well. Those that have had Coryza go through their flock says it smells like the bird has eaten something extremely dead.

Now what I would do is to swap to a drug called LS-50, a packet is around $40 but well worth it. Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and have that as their only water for a full 7 days. They should clear up nicely in about three days but run the full course.

LS-50 can be found online at most vet supply houses like Smith Poultry supply or First State Vet Supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by