Sneezing and Green poo

chicalot

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
When I went out to feed this morning I noticed several of my hens sneezing. They're all eating and drinking. My rooster sneezed and then I noticed he has green poo hanging on his back feathers. What do I do to keep this from progressing. I feel like a virus has suddenly took hold. I've not added new chickens.

If it's a virus antibiotics won't kill the virus but they Can prevent a deadly secondary infection from happening. A excellent antibiotic geared for respiratory illness is Tylosin . It can be purchased as Tylan50 at your feed store.many poultry owners including myself have been very successful using Tylan50 for respiratory illness. Tylan50 is a injectable and in my opinion injectable are better than water soluble antibiotics in times of illness because water soluble antibiotics dose is continent on amount drank and you won't get a stable dose because when they are ill they tend to not drink as much. Also injectable gets into the blood stream much faster. The dose for Tylan50 is for large birds 1/2 cc small birds is 1/4 cc given once daily for 5 days into the breast muscle. Tylan50 and syringes can be found at the feed store.i would start the Tylan50 right away. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

so my vet wasn't extremely knowledgeable but willing to help.. can do stool sample and order antibiotic. says it sounds like a couple of things with respiratory and green poo. suggestions are sulfa-dine/methoxine which is Avlon. I mentioned tylan 50 and he can order that or erythromycin. He mentioned coccidiosis but I'm not thinking that.

Anyone ....suddenly sneezing chickens and green poo?

If it's a virus antibiotics won't kill the virus but they Can prevent a deadly secondary infection from happening. A excellent antibiotic geared for respiratory illness is Tylosin . It can be purchased as Tylan50 at your feed store.many poultry owners including myself have been very successful using Tylan50 for respiratory illness. Tylan50 is a injectable and in my opinion injectable are better than water soluble antibiotics in times of illness because water soluble antibiotics dose is continent on amount drank and you won't get a stable dose because when they are ill they tend to not drink as much. Also injectable gets into the blood stream much faster. The dose for Tylan50 is for large birds 1/2 cc small birds is 1/4 cc given once daily for 5 days into the breast muscle. Tylan50 and syringes can be found at the feed store.i would start the Tylan50 right away. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

Thank you. very helpful. I hope I can inject a chicken breast. I'm a little tore up. My husband out of town..grrr

Now would be a good time to get a baseline weight and then weigh every day to monitor for weight loss. I use a digital kitchen scale and I way them in grams, much easier to track losses and gains that way.

-Kathy

I just went and stood with them for a while again. Don't seem too sneezy, not like they were this morning. I thought the rooster had frostbite this morning but now I'm wondering if his comb is turning dark from sickness? If I think that's true I might dispatch of him and send for necropsy if it's affordable enough. I'll get the Tylan 50 at TSC today for 13.99 for 100 mL and monitor. I don't feel like things are overly dirty, but to be on the cleaner side I'll change out all bedding.

Keep us posted on how things are going.
1f414.png
1f414.png

Keep us posted on how things are going.
1f414.png
1f414.png

I sure will. I'm going to do a massive coop clean out and serve up some yogurt and herbs. Since the roo has the green poo, he will be separated and I'll see what morning brings. I have the Tylan on hand if needed. Just want to make sure it's not a mold issue first as I've been posting on the natural keeping thread about it. I think my coop is clean but it can't hurt to go that route first. When you inject chickens do you have to use a clean needle for each. How do you go about that. 14 chickens if I have to do that.

Sneezing can be a symptom of infectious bronchitis or another one of the many respiratorydiseases, but can also becaused by dust, feed, or mold. Unless they develop more symptoms such as watery eyes, eye bubbles, snots, wheezes, rattles, or swelling of the eyes or face, I would hold off on antibiotics. Tylan also comes in powder for the water, and the Emycin may be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom