Sneezing and lethargy

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
My 1.5 month old Polish chick and 7.5 month old Silkie mix pullet are both sneezing and slightly lethargic. No other symptoms, clear eyes, clear nose no discharge, etc just a slight lethargy and slowness to eat on the chick's part. I don't want this to progress, but absolutely cannot afford a vet right now. What could this be and what can I give them to counter?

The pullet was very sick last month but pulled through. She had coccidia, E. coli, staph, whipworm and candida, plus liver damage, but she's all healed up from that and even started laying. Unfortunately I still haven't recovered financially from that :( it doesn't seem serious but I'm afraid it will progress. If I sell my soul I can maybe get them in next week at the earliest if absolutely necessary.

Help?

Usually if there is a respiratory disease there would be other symptoms, such as head shaking, clear thin nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in eyes or just watery eyes, crackles or wheezes when breathing, as well as a sneeze or cough. If there are not more symptoms, it could be environmental such as dust in feed or the coop, or ammonia odor from droppings. Make sure overhead ventilation is good from one side of coop to the other. Keep the bedding dry and clean. Some viruses or mold can cause respiratory symptoms. Bacterial or mycoplasma infection might respond to certain antibiotics, but the viruses or mold would not. It sounds like your one pullet has had a lot of problems, and she may have weakened immunity.

Usually if there is a respiratory disease there would be other symptoms, such as head shaking, clear thin nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in eyes or just watery eyes, crackles or wheezes when breathing, as well as a sneeze or cough. If there are not more symptoms, it could be environmental such as dust in feed or the coop, or ammonia odor from droppings. Make sure overhead ventilation is good from one side of coop to the other. Keep the bedding dry and clean. Some viruses or mold can cause respiratory symptoms. Bacterial or mycoplasma infection might respond to certain antibiotics, but the viruses or mold would not. It sounds like your one pullet has had a lot of problems, and she may have weakened immunity.
They're house chickens, so are kept very very clean and the chick is in my grow out cage which is cleaned daily and has no bedding to trap mold or anything...the newspaper in the tray is changed daily. The pullet isn't wheezing and is still laying, eating etc, her lack of energy is barely noticeable. But the chick tips his head back slightly to breathe (does not open beak), doesn't eat since last night and just is generally looking sad, sitting still with eyes closed.

They can still get things like coccidiosis from their guts if kept inside. The chick could be getting sick from that, and might need some Corid in the water for 5-7 days. It is very hard to know what the problem is unfortunately without ruling out other problems or lab work. Make sure the chick is drinking well.

They can still get things like coccidiosis from their guts if kept inside. The chick could be getting sick from that, and might need some Corid in the water for 5-7 days. It is very hard to know what the problem is unfortunately without ruling out other problems or lab work. Make sure the chick is drinking well.
Thank you. I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and ask if my vet can do a payment plan. I really don't want to lose either of these.

My quail that are also in the grow out cage are perfectly fine, as are my other two growing out chicks :/

The Polish chick just pooped this out. He's had a full meal and fully inflated his crop. No blood in it. Breathing doesn't sound raspy.
IMG_160970749864F.jpg

Back
Top Bottom