Sneezing bunny

txchickie

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
Texas
I am just worried sick
sad.png
I finally found another bunny over the weekend while I was visiting family about 4 hours from here. Found him/her (haven't tried to tell yet, it's really young and super tiny) at a feed store, brought him immediatley home on a 4 hour drive. It's a California white, rabbit was fine, looked great, active, playing, eating, drinking, etc...
Well this morning I wake up to him sneezing
hmm.png
No runny nose, eye discharge, etc, but frequent sneezing. Luckily I had the sense to not put him in with my other bun and I've had him "quarantined" in my bathroom.
So what to do about the sneezing? Does this sound like pasturella? My hubby will have a fit if I drag a bunny that I've had for 1.5 days to the vet to rack up bills, but I have to do something even if that means letting him have his fit
hmm.png

My bunny sneezes sometimes..Like when he is playing in the hay or bumps his nose..If your bunny is eating and drinking has no running eyes or nose..It is problaly nothing Just keep an eye on it to see if that changes,if it does its problaly a cold an a vet can give you some medication shouldnt run a bill too high...

Thank you for your reply. I really really hope it's nothing, but the sneezing is just so frequent
sad.png

Although I am sure it is stressful for the sweet thing getting used to a new environment, new smells, weather change, etc....He has hay here and I know there was no hay available for them at the fed store. It could be the hay, I guess. He's got carefresh ultra below the wire floor on the tray, so there are no scents there, although that stuff is awful dusty. But he is eating like a little pig and drinking really well. I gave him a ceramic dish to drink from instead of the water bottle.....he can't really figure out the water bottle too well
hmm.png
We'll work on that later, I guess.

If he is not showing signs of improvement tomorrow or gets worse today, I will call our vet. I don't know if he will see a rabbit though. GAAH!

My bunnies used to sneeze every once in a while .. If he hasnt had hay before I would say that is it... I had one bunny tht sneezed and sneezed and sneezed , one day when I was looking him over trying to figure out what was wrong , I noticed a lil green stick looking thing in his nose... Grabbed some needle nose pliers and pulled it out , It was a peice of hay that got caught.....
roll.png
Silly lil thing would tear into hay everytime I put it in there.. I'd give him a day or two and see ....

also lok at the inside of his front paws for any signs of moisture or crusties. Some bunnies are really good at keeping their noses clean so it looks like they dont have a runny nose when they do.

Bunnies do sneeze but if its more than "every once in a while" its somthing to be concerned about.

Could be dry sneezing. sometimes dry sneezers can be carriers of pasteurella. I'd wait it out and see what happens. Cull him if he continues to sneeze or gets worse.

Quote:
What type of bedding is in his cage? Since he didn't sneeze on the 4 hour trip home, nor on the first day, an allergy in the new environment would be my first hypothesis.

Okay we are still sneezing today
sad.png
sad.png
No wet or crusty paws, but he sneezes once every 3-4 minutes consistently.

He's on a wire floor cage, but the tray under the cage has carefresh ultra bedding so that really couldn't bother him I wouldn't think. He had just plain timothy hay when I got him home (and pellets), but I too thought it could be the hay causing the sneezing so I took it away and completley cleaned out his cage and put in fresh bedding......still sneezing
sad.png

I am going to call the vet after they re-open after lunch and go from there, hopefully they will see a rabbit. If not, I'll have to call around to see who I can find.
Thank you all for for your advice!

What is "carefresh ultra bedding"? If it's something he's never had before, I'd try just a brown paper bag or cardboard (something w/out odor) in the tray. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom