Sneezing Chicken

spicewood chick

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2012
SPICEWOOD TEXAS
I have a girl the little white one that I just noticed this morning with a constant high pitched sneeze. She doesnt have runny nose or messy eyes but noticed a couple of points in her comb are black and crusty. Im reading it could be foul pox and trying to figure out what to do. I have some doxycycline capsules from a previous respitory issue on another girl months ago, do I just give her some and what else should I do? She doesnt act sick yet but dont want to wait too long. I may try to take her to the vet tomorrow as well
E16A0480-4B75-48A5-81BB-EC222BCA940A.png
. Update... just went back out and not noticing sneezing but comb looked worse and noticed a couple girls wanting to pick at it, will attach pic

Attachments

• 387B4960-89FC-4909-BD69-7B6E190ED9CD.jpeg
    387B4960-89FC-4909-BD69-7B6E190ED9CD.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The comb appears to have an injury and the black crusts are scabs of dried blood. Do you have Blu-kote? Also known as Blue Lotion. It will heal and conceal the comb injury so it won't be picked at by the others and made worse.

Before putting your hen on antibiotics, watch to see if the sneezing continues and becomes more persistent. Sneezing alone isn't enough to warrant a diagnosis.

Buy Blu-kote at any feed store in the animal medicine section. It's perfectly safe for chickens. Just keep out of the eyes. You might want to use a Q-tip to apply and not the big "shoe-shine" applicator in the bottle to avoid getting it all over you and the chicken. It stains horribly, but it's very, very effective.

The comb appears to have an injury and the black crusts are scabs of dried blood. Do you have Blu-kote? Also known as Blue Lotion. It will heal and conceal the comb injury so it won't be picked at by the others and made worse.

Before putting your hen on antibiotics, watch to see if the sneezing continues and becomes more persistent. Sneezing alone isn't enough to warrant a diagnosis.

:goodpost: X2 Agree with all the above!

Listen to her when she sneezes - is it during certain times like when she eats or drinks?

You mention that the sneezing is constant? Do you have video?

I have been out twice now and she isn’t sneezing so hopefully it was just some dust up her nose. I diluted one drop of tee tree oil in some coconut oil and used a Q tip to apply a little to her comb hopefully to heal it and keep the other girls away. I have read that they others dont like the taste so they will leave it alone

Our feed store is closed on sundays i will have to see if tractor supply has some of the blue kote. The tea tree was very diluted in the coconut oil probably not enough to do anything i will beware. I have read so many things where people swear by it on the wounds but diluted.

Someone mentioned that the frost bite if thats what the black tips were would be more consistent that than so it might be an illness she has. Not sure if shes not sneezing anymore what I need to do

TSC has Blu-kote. I buy it there. No matter the cause of the blackened crusts on the comb, Blu-kote will help heal and conceal. I've used it on minor dry pox lesions with good results.

No need to do anything about the sneezing symptoms right now, except keep alert to any escalation of multiple respiratory symptoms. At that time, you may treat the symptoms with Tylan, also obtainable at TSC. Get the oral Tylan as it's much simpler to administer. You can buy it now and keep it on hand. Many of us keep a supply of antibiotics on hand so we can treat immediately if the occasion requires.

Back
Top Bottom