Sneezing Chicken

SirConnorVans

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
Transfer,PA
We have a silkie named Sue, she has been sneezing every now and then. But it's not a lot it's a couple times a day and that's it. I didn't know if we should be concerned??

My first year with 6 Speckled Sussex they kept getting the sneezing frequently and I didn't give them any kefir. But since I've been giving my chickens kefir, I think I've only heard one or two of them sneeze in the last year.

LibertyChick

Frequent sneezing by the same chicken, then spreading day by day to other chickens in the coop can be a sign of infectious bronchitis (IB.) It is a virus that lasts 4-6 weeks and goes through a flock with 100% exposure. It can decrease egg laying or cause kidney failure in some birds. If there are chicks, it can be fatal in a large percentage.

I will have to pick some up on my next run! Can I get it kefir at tractor supply?

No, no, no, wrong time of store. You may be able to find some in your local health food store, not Tractor Supply. If you would like healthy milk kefir grains, I can send some to you but you need to send me a private message. They are very active and healthy and hungry and may eat you out of house and home. I give some extra kefir grains to my chickens and they LOVE them.

I culture them in organic raw grass fed cows milk. If you have an organic raw grass fed cow or goats milk source, that is the best!

LibertyChick

Frequent sneezing by the same chicken, then spreading day by day to other chickens in the coop can be a sign of infectious bronchitis (IB.) It is a virus that lasts 4-6 weeks and goes through a flock with 100% exposure. It can decrease egg laying or cause kidney failure in some birds. If there are chicks, it can be fatal in a large percentage.

My experience with my 6 SS the first year...and I was raising them without a whole lot of knowledge...was kinda blah. I only had some info from the people who I got the chicks from who started them on organic feed and raise theirs organically. I was totally clueless. The people recommended using herbal teas to keep the immune systems healthy. They recommended a couple different teas, but the only one I can remember was El Campaign. They said to make a batch after a cold rain. I did that but my SS always seemed to sneeze and get colds anyway. Once I would get one to stop sneezing, another one would start a couple weeks later. Maybe I wasn't using the right teas. There was also something with worming them with the waxing and waning of the moon but I could never get an explanation. My SS still layed eggs the whole time except for when they moulted. They may have slowed down, but did not stop laying. Their health problems never progressed past sneezing and some nasal drainage.

It wasn't until I started giving my chickens raw milk kefir about a year ago that I did not see any colds. Actually, I think I "heard" maybe 2 sneezes total this whole last year. Probiotics are phenominal!!! Milk kefir has more probiotics in it than a whole bottle of expensive probiotics and it has many, many more strains of friendly bacterias and yeasts.

So, you can ward off probably almost every illness by keeping the chickens "terrain" (Law of the Terrain, look it up) loaded with healthy bacteria and yeasts that fight disease. Oh, I also have never, ever, given any vaccine or medicated food to my chickens. They get only organic chicken feed and organic produce and organic table scraps.

LibertyChick

Help! I'm new at the chicken business . Have 6 , 3 are leghorns and one of them is always sneezing I think but she looks fine it has been a while and she's the only one that does it. I'm not sure if she's sneezing or just make that sound . How do I know. Never herd a chicken sneezing before. Is she sick? Help . Thanks

Help! I'm new at the chicken business . Have 6 , 3 are leghorns and one of them is always sneezing I think but she looks fine it has been a while and she's the only one that does it. I'm not sure if she's sneezing or just make that sound . How do I know. Never herd a chicken sneezing before. Is she sick? Help . Thanks

It sounds pretty much like a human but not very loud. As a matter of fact, I heard a couple sneezes tonight with mine. But I think that's only because they are weak from the nutritionally deficient feed they were getting. I will have to up their probiotics.

LibertyChick

Back
Top Bottom