sneezing hen

I agree that she needs to be on a balanced chicken feed, chick grower or flock raiser, and then layer when she begins to lay eggs. She is probably old enough to start on layer feed now. You may find that trying to feed a balanced diet with whole grains and the other treats is impossible, and she may end up with a vitamin or mineral deficiency. They also can have a tendency to get fat or suffer from fatty liver disease. Glad to hear that her sneezing has stopped. Chicken may sneeze from environmental reasons, but they don’t get colds. Good luck.

if
Chickens don't get colds:)

Do you provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed?
She may be lacking in nutrition.
At 5 months old, I would feed her chick starter - you can buy small bags at Tractor Supply, this way it doesn't get old or rancid.

Whole grains, veggies, worms and crickets make fine treats. Make her main source of nutrition the poultry feed and offer one of these things daily in a small amount.
When she comes into lay, provide her with oyster shell free choice for added calcium.

Make sure she has a source of grit (crushed granite) so she can process foods properly.
if grains plants and bugs are only treats what do they eat in the wild ???

Chickens can live in the wild eating bugs, grasses, and any other things they can find, but they may not be well nourished. Most sources about poultry state that they need about 20% protein as youngsters, and 16% protein for layers. The commercial chicken feeds contain well balanced nutrition with vitamins, minerals, and amino acids required to get the best health. If you feed corn or certain grains, you are not even going to get half of the protein they need, much less the other nutrients required for good health and maximum egg production.

It is just like a person who eats Cheetos, fries, candy, and Mountain Dew all the time—they will probably live, but they may not be very healthy.

How do you "keep" your chicken?
Is she confined to a cage, coop/run or does she roam free on a large piece of land that has adequate "forage" - where she could find an assortment of bugs, plants, etc.?
sorry for the late response !! my month has been busy. but she lives inside my house and i let her outside multiple times a day almost like a dog and just let her back inside when she wants

OK But what do you feed her?
Is she any better?
i got her on a growing feed and fresh veggies and grass and not many bugs at the moment since its been really cold but once it heats up she'll get lots. she is a lot better, after the sneezing she had a period where she just got excessively hot and in result ended up losing some feathers but thats done shes all good now and is growing them back and shes back to normal. she only lost a few feathers.

i got her on a growing feed and fresh veggies and grass and not many bugs at the moment since its been really cold but once it heats up she'll get lots. she is a lot better, after the sneezing she had a period where she just got excessively hot and in result ended up losing some feathers but thats done shes all good now and is growing them back and shes back to normal. she only lost a few feathers.
I'm glad she is better.

Back
Top Bottom