Sneezing! Should I worry? I can't help it.....aleady worrying! HELP

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
14 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Hello fellow BYC'rs!

I've had chickens for about 3 years now. My flock is thriving. BUT just recently I noticed my rooster is sneezing alot. Yesterday, I did notice a few sneezes, but today, I noticed alot of sneezing, especially after he crows. Other than that, he is very normal acting, mating, running around and watching over his flock.

One thing happened the other day.....He attacked me repeatedly, and I sort of pushed him away with my shoe. But he was relentless and I had to give him the BOOT! I kicked him hard in the chest. Could I have hurt his lungs somehow, causing the sneezing?

OR, could he be getting sick? I am going on vacation in two weeks, and I will be devastated if my flock is sick when I'm gone.....Not sure what to do. What would you members do? Treat it as an illness with meds? And what meds? Would duramayacin be good enough, or should I go straight to Tylan?

Your input is GREATLY appreciated!

Sharon

I don't think you could've caused the sneezing .... does he have a runny nose or anything? Hopefully one of the more experienced chicken peeps can help you the only thing I can think of{but im just learning all this too
hide.gif
} is MAYBE the beginnings of a respiratory infection? but I believe they have runny noses and/or wheezing too unless you just caught it extremely early.

Quote:
He hasn't had a runny nose and his eyes look fine, no wheezing, but the sneezing has definitely increased......

Thanks for your help, 8 and Wilson! I sure wish I knew exactly what to do.......I don't want to medicate and yet, I'd rather be safe than sorry....Guess I will see how he's doing tomorrow.

Quote:
Terribly hot and humid and in the 90s here in Ohio. Everything was very very dry, until today when it rained. I was so glad it rained.....I'm really hoping he sniffed some dust up his nose or something......

hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom