Sneezing, watery eyes

I'm wondering how things turned out for you. I've got a couple of hens with the same symptoms right now. and I have one who is very lethargic and thin, but I'm thinking there's something bigger going on with that one. just very curious what your results were. thanks for any info.

@rexannastar - My chicken is pretty much still the same after two weeks (but my other chickens, who were exposed to her, haven't yet developed her symptoms). I gave her Duramycin 10 in her drinking water, which didn't do much (for 12-13 days). I finally caved in and took her to a vet, who took a swab of her throat and looked for bacteria. It looked like the Duramycin 10 had weakened the bacteria a bit, but not enough to eradicate whatever is going on. He also listened to her lungs, to look for signs of infection, but heard nothing.

He gave (meaning sold) me an antibiotic that I apply with an eyedropper to her eyes and nostrils twice a day (he wanted to give her a break on the systemic antibiotics, and try to treat it topically)- today was the first day on this. He also gave me probiotics to put in her water to return some beneficial bacteria to her body, as her poop was loose.

In total, the whole thing cost about $143- many aren't willing to spend this money on a bird that costs $3, but I was, and it was my decision to do so. I'm lucky to have a kind vet with chicken experience in my area!

Many on BYC recommended Tylan 50, which is an injectable antibiotic that can be given orally with a needle less syringe, or injected into the breast (which I know nothing about). Here is another thread that I started that talks all about it…. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/943425/antibiotics-question

I sincerely hope that your birds start doing better!

Back
Top Bottom