Sneezing/wheezing chicken

twagoner

Songster
7 Years
Nov 2, 2016
I have an 18 month free ranging barred rock that does a lot of high pitched sneezing or coughing. It seems to always occur after drinking. She has her beak open most of the time, so she seems to be having breathing issues. There is a soft wheeze accompanying her breathing. Her energy level is fine, she eats/drinks just the same as usual and hasn't lost any weight. Her sister might be developing same condition. What is wrong with my hen? Is there a homemade medicine I can give her?

Sounds respiratory. It'll run through your flock quick and they'll always be carriers. I'd recommend separating your sick birds and start giving them vitamins/electrolytes in their water. You can start mixing in eggs or other higher protein supplements (mealworms, etc) in their food to help keep them going. You can try VetRx first and see if that helps at all. It's natural oil (think Vix for chickens). Otherwise, Tylan is a good start if you want to medicate. You can give it orally or intramuscular via injection. 1cc x 5 days. I believe the egg withdrawl is two weeks. Don't feed their eggs back to them at this time. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

\

Thanks for medicine dosage. The effected hen is alive and well. Energy level is normal. Eating and drinking are normal. Her beak is open most of time to breathe. I did hear one sneezing episode from her today. I will continue to treat her and entire flock with VetRX daily. How many days should I treat?

Until the symptoms are gone. If she continues getting worse, you may have to consider antibiotics if you want her to live. Also, ACV (apple cider vinegar) is great for chickens. 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. I wouldn't mix it with the VetRx, but you can use it in the next water change.

Back
Top Bottom