Sneezy Silkies

fluffybuttnugs

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2023
Just joined this group because I’m a bit puzzled. I have a flock of about 15 silkies and up until now have never had to deal with any health issues with them. I adore my birds and give them the best care I can. That being said, there are no veterinarians in my area that treat birds…UGH. 4 days ago when putting up my chickens for the night I noticed a couple sneezes. The next day I went and got VetRX and have been treating them with it for the past 3 days now. I’ve also been adding electrolytes and probiotics to their water. The only symptoms I’ve noticed is the sneezing & maybe somewhat less active but nothing drastic. No nostril/eye discharge, no facial swelling, normal egg production. In the past 3 days I don’t feel like I’ve seen any improvement but it doesn’t seem worse either. I’ve caught maybe 3 or 4 birds sneeze but have been treating them all. I haven’t introduced any new birds or done anything to cause a dusty coop. I’m honestly just confused and worried about my babies. We have had some pretty drastic weather conditions in the past few weeks (70s for two weeks, now 20s-40s for several days in a row) Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this and what if anything should I be doing differently?

The only symptoms I’ve noticed is the sneezing & maybe somewhat less active but nothing drastic. No nostril/eye discharge, no facial swelling, normal egg production. In the past 3 days I don’t feel like I’ve seen any improvement but it doesn’t seem worse either. I’ve caught maybe 3 or 4 birds sneeze but have been treating them all. I haven’t introduced any new birds or done anything to cause a dusty coop.
If there's no other symptoms and all are active/eating/drinking then I'd just monitor them.
Sneezing can be from a number of things - from weather changes to dust to adding new birds.

I have about 15 silkies and have started adding egg layers this spring including 4 sapphire gems, barred rock, olive egger, buff orpington & a salmon faverolle!

If there's no other symptoms and all are active/eating/drinking then I'd just monitor them.
Sneezing can be from a number of things - from weather changes to dust to adding new birds.
No new birds added to this flock and haven’t done anything to cause a dusty coop. Could it simply be the weather changes?? thanks

Possible it's changes in weather. If they don't show a lot of symptoms, then it may be a good idea to just monitor them and see how it goes.

New birds on the property, even if not added to this flock could potentially be a source of illness as well unless you have been practicing biosecurity between flocks. Things can be transmitted through dust/dander, on shoes, equipment, etc. If the newbies are tiny chicks sources from a reputable hatchery, then there's much less of a chance of that happening.

Back
Top Bottom