Sneezy/snotty chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Apld, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Apld

Apld Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    Brisbane
    We have the most lovely little Sussex chook that has always been a bit sneezy and snotty - it’s never gone away. She’s around 15 weeks old (we got her at around 6 weeks), it’s never seemed to affect her, she eats well, she’s happy... but it seems weird she can’t seem to shift it.
    We have 5 other chooks and none of them have ever showed any sign of being unwell.
    I have ACV in their water, and some nutrients in their food - but am feeling useless that it hasn’t gone away! Other than a slightly runny nose and being a bit sneezy she is fine... but today one side of her nose was a bit gummed up with some dirt so I’m worried both sides might while I’m not home.

Any suggestions?

Tiana's chickens likes this.
  2. Tiana's chickens

Tiana's chickens Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    We would give our snotty chooks some vitamin C and a little garlic in the water, it helps their immune system. Other suggestions I can make is buying them a multivitamin powder or giving probiotics - probiotic powder has also worked wonders for my chooks, just don't give the probiotics to them within a few hours of ACV

3. Apld

Apld Chirping

Oct 14, 2017
    Brisbane
    Thank you, it’s just been so long :(
    She’s a bit bubbly now breathing through her nose, that’s the first time I’ve noticed that.

4. Chasingcars

Chasingcars Songster

Sep 15, 2017
    Derbyshire , England
    Sounds like you’ve tried a few things ...some prefer to buy over the counter remedies but i like to use organic natural so here’s what I would do..

I always keep a small peeled garlic clove in their drinker all year round. ( replace it roughly monthly)

For respiratory infections I boil a whole onion in 1/2pint milk ..turn off the heat and let it cool leaving onion in there . Soak a piece of bread in the milk ...feed bread to chicken with no other food that day , but access to water . After the first day I’d let them return to the flock but continue to offer them the milk potion along with regular food.

A homeopathic tablet called hepar suphuris is a natural antibiotic, it’s available on Amazon or chemists here in England for around £7. I’d start this the day after the milk potion and continue it for a week. Either 6in water or 3 fed directly to poorly patient.

Probiotic yoghurt is great.

As mentioned previously some chickens can be snottier than others, my oldest buff Orpington , Pamela can be sneezy if I use certain type songs of bedding. I have to use superduper dust extracted shavings and no hay & straw anywhere inside.

My herbal two penneth ❤️

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: