Snot bubbles and sneezing?

apc

Songster
10 Years
Nov 4, 2009
Chickland, Il
Purchased three new brahma hens, and now they have snot bubbles coming out of their noses, and two of them are sneezing pretty regularly. They have great appetites, and seem to be moving around pretty good for as cold as it is getting. What can I treat them with, Im in a pretty rural area that only has farm and fleet as an option.

It seems like everyone are getting infected chickens:/ Im sorry... it sounds like MG.
signs of mg are:
•Coughing.
•Nasal and ocular discharge.
•Poor productivity.
•Slow growth.
•Leg problems.
•Stunting.
•Inappetance.
•Reduced hatchability and chick viability.
•Occasional encephalopathy and abnormal feathers

Info From:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...ction-mg-chronic-respiratory-disease-chickens

I would put then All down and not get from this person again. Are these your only chickens?
Speckledhen knows alot about this and i think shee would agree with me. There are drugs out there to treat this (terramycin) But they are always carriers. The only time i would say to try to save them if they are the only birds and its a closed flock.
Please dont go bye me only, wait for other responses.

It sounds like they have a respiratory disease. You can't be sure what they have unless you do a necropsy.......so the MG diagnosis is a bit hasty. I get ALL of my advice on treatment for my birds from Dr. Peter Brown. He has a PhD in Poultry Science and has been in the field for over 40 years. There are others on here that can only speak from their experiences, so I am very careful about who I take advice from......ESPECIALLY those that right away tell you that you have to cull your chickens!!
rant.gif

Dr. Brown's website is: http://www.firststatevetsupply.com

Terramycin is a useless antibiotic, unless it's the only one you can get your hands on. Than Dr. Brown recommends using 1 T per gallon of water. I use Tylan injectible......Dr. Brown will also recommend Gallimycin....it's a powder that you also put in there water.

I also PM'd you......PM me back if you have any questions!!

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
You Left out that they are always contageous. I would rather 3 dead birds and a healthy flock than a entire flock with a respitory disease. I also think teramycin is a great drug & That is what the lady from NPIP told us to use (megan mgrath) who is also VERY knowledgable in this feild.

Quote:
You Left out that they are always contageous. I would rather 3 dead birds and a healthy flock than a entire flock with a respitory disease. I also think teramycin is a great drug & That is what the lady from NPIP told us to use (megan mgrath) who is also VERY knowledgable in this feild.

I forgot to add my neighbors and grandfather has used it with success.

Tylan Injectable works good too though! But anything respitory....iwould cull it!

Quote:
As Usschicago has written, yes these respiratory diseases are contagious, so you will not only have to cull the 3 that are showing symptoms....if you choose to cull, you have to cull the WHOLE flock......the rest of your flock is no longer healthy..... Even if they are in quarantine, you track it on your clothes, your shoes, your hands, etc.

Dr. Brown does not recommend Terramycin, won't even carry it in his online store!!! Like I said, I take my advice from him.....he has a PhD in Poultry Science which means he had gone to college for 8+ years studying poultry, and along with his 40 years experience. But everyone has to make their own decisions.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom