Snotty nosed broody hen...(Pics added pg2)

Some diseases spread through the egg and some do not. As a responsible owner/breeder, if my breeding flock EVER comes down with respiratory illness, I will cull the sick birds and cease selling hatching eggs or birds to anyone.. I will not be the cause of someone else's heartache if it can be helped. Wish everyone felt this way. Not sure what's up with the broody in this thread, though.

right..sorry to interupt the thread...
hide.gif
i am just confused about this...and have been seeing alot on it lately....thanks for all the help guys!
smile.png

This hen is most likely suffering from symptoms brought about by environmental factors. She only has a sneeze and that is nothing to worry about at all right now. Next time just try some cider vinegar in the water and try to avoid using antibiotics when unnecessary. she should finish her treatment now but if you have another situation down the road, try the vinegar first. This will usually take care of something simple like without masking more threatening illnesses.

Good Luck and I hope she recovers quickly.

its ok..all info is great...she is not sneezing just has something around her nose.

I got scared and decided to treat her with something in case.

Noone eles is sick everyone in the flock is doing great.

I get carried away when one even sneezes and always give them something just incase.

This girl set for 21 days on 1 egg and nothing hatched

She has been setting 10 more days now all together 31 days She is on 9 eggs.

She has been in the pet taxi since I found her broody on eggs.

I have kept the snow and ice and draft off her so IDK what it is around her nose I am just being cautions.

I wasn't suggesting you cull this hen, wanted to be clear. I was just answering redhen's question. On occasion if a bird drinks then eats food that may be a bit dusty, it can dry around the nostrils, so it could be nothing at all.

LOL, I didnt think you meant that to me...I would never cull her unless she was suffering from something.

If it was a RI I would stop selling eggs and chickens...My chickens are dear to me! I could never kill one if I could cure them.

I am just being a worried wart chicken momma.

So do you think she is ok then? She is eating and drinking fine seems alert and her happy little broody self...I don't think i heard her sneezing like i said before no disscharge from eyes or nothing drainging from her nose just somthing crusty looking around her nose. I could get a picture if that would help?

Back
Top Bottom