snow in run

Le plastique sert également de brise-vent en hiver, ce que les filles approuvent, je suppose.

Bienvenue sur les forums BYC :welcome

Je parle un peu français, mais la plupart des gens ici ne parlent que l'anglais. Si vous utilisez Google Translate, vous commentaires en anglais serait probablement obtenir plus de réponses. Même si la traduction n'est pas parfaite en anglais.

En tout cas, j'espère avoir plus de vos nouvelles en français ou en anglais.

For my English speaking friends: "I speak a little French, but most people here speak only English. If you use Google Translate, your comments in English would probably get more responses. Even if the translation is not perfect in English."

"In any case, I hope to hear more from you in French or English."

@skipa-za-ko_13 said (in English): "The plastic also serves as a windbreak in winter, which the girls approve of, I guess."

Apologies to all for my rusty French translations, it has been 35+ years since my University studies.

Last edited:
So I shovel, sometimes hourly during bad storms. First to keep run and pop doors accessible to me, then a 50' path to access run roof if snow gathers there(which it can). Run roof almost collapsed the first year,

:old If I had to do that, I'd probably be in the ER for a heart attack!

Yesterday we got over 6 inches of snow, with snow banks almost 2 feet high. I took out my old snowblower and spent over an hour blowing out our driveway. After that, I used the snowblower to make a path about 50 yards to my backyard chicken coop. No way would I consider manually shoveling that much snow - at my age - because guys like me drop dead every year shoveling snow and thinking they are still in their 20's.

That's a very impressive run you have there. What do you make the framing out of? Looks like metal poles, but you said that the roof almost collapsed. Also, your run gate looks like mine in that it goes almost all the way down to the ground - which means I have to keep my gate shoveled out all winter, too. If I build a new run for next winter, I plan on having a split gate with the bottom maybe 1 foot off the ground. That would be easier to keep clear of snow.

I have also kept track of cost per egg. Including the cost of the coop, run, feed, bedding, odds and ends. We are down to $.78 per egg. They have been some very enjoyable eggs. That is after 2.5 years.

I have only had my chickens for 8 months, but the price per egg is dropping fast. But I still enjoy my backyard flock in many ways and that is something you don't experience by buying eggs from a store. So, it's all good for me.

Je n'ai que trois coqs là-dedans, plus environ 30 dindes et quelques canards et oies. Les coqs sont les seuls à s'occuper de la neige et il y a une coopérative de bonne taille pour eux et pour quiconque est assez intelligent pour aller à l'intérieur. Sinon, je pourrais envelopper l’ouest et peut-être l’est pour rester à la dérive.

OK, my rusty French translation to English: "I only have three roosters in there, plus about 30 turkeys and a few ducks and geese. The roosters are the only ones to deal with the snow and there is a good size cooperative(coop?) for them and for anyone who is smart enough to go inside. Otherwise, I could wrap the west and maybe the east to stay adrift(to break the wind?)."

No way would I consider manually shoveling that much snow - at my age - because guys like me drop dead every year shoveling snow and thinking they are still in their 20's.
Some young folks can't shovel for other reasons... like medical issues (I'm young but I have back problems). Shoveling is just not for everybody. Even for healthy people, you could be fine this year and then something happens next year and you can no longer shovel. Chicken coops are a long term investment... I think it's good to look into the future and build for the likelihood of not always being in top shape regardless of age. And, even if you do stay in top shape until late in life, maybe on some days you just won't feel like going out there to shovel :lol: Cost is the biggest thing. But if you can find a way to do it, it's better to have it covered.

That's a very impressive run you have there. What do you make the framing out of? Looks like metal poles, but you said that the roof almost collapsed.
T-posts and conduit, details here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
The mesh sagged, a lot, wish I had got a pic...luckily 'loose' connections allowed the sag without bending rafters or kinking mesh, it all bounced back. Whew!

If I had to do that, I'd probably be in the ER for a heart attack!
I go very slowly (paying attention to my pulse and respiration) in multiple sessions, if it's deep...like the 2' we got a week or so ago, took me 2 days.....or more often clearing every few inches that falls. I have bad knees and feet, so sure footing is essential...am obsessed with avoiding pack ice so won't walk on snow without shoveling first.

I used the plastic 6mil stuff from Lowe’s

Attachments

• 020F7A82-3C41-4CAD-8DBE-25D12C3C7328.jpeg
    020F7A82-3C41-4CAD-8DBE-25D12C3C7328.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 21
I think it's good to look into the future and build for the likelihood of not always being in top shape regardless of age.

I totally agree. I made both my chicken coop and my chicken run tall enough that I can walk in there standing upright. Although I am in decent shape, and I can't complain too much, I'm still at an age where standing up to do work is a lot easier on me than having to bend over.

Back
Top Bottom