Snow in the South -- Check In Here

Ice is the worst. It's easier to cope with a foot of snow than an inch of ice.

More like where I grew up -- Pittsburgh, PA -- than where I live now.

When I lived up north this storm would have been nothing, but they don't even have the equipment to take care of the roads down here. I don't own the clothes for it either. My rubber muck boots aren't insulated (and are hot enough as they are when it's 95F out in the summer). I only have fingerless wool gloves and uninsulated leather work gloves.

That would be a great idea for anyone who has snow regularly (this is a once every 3-5 years occurrence where I am). When I was a kid in western PA I used to drag firewood on my snow wing.

Dear Husband.

I am told that some women have other adjectives that start with "D" but mine is definitely a Dear.
The fishing sled also works great if you have to go through any mud!

. I don't own the clothes for it either. My rubber muck boots aren't insulated (and are hot enough as they are when it's 95F out in the summer). I only have fingerless wool gloves and uninsulated leather work gloves.
I am beyond thankful I got me a pair of coveralls before all this insane weather! Tennessee is definitely a hit or miss for weather, much like yours probably.
My gloves are not waterproof at all...just work gloves then some cutesy handmade mittens from a longtime ago over the top!
But they scare the chicks to death so I end up having to take em all off...really bad when they get wet too!
Gonna go look right now for waterproof ones!

No new snow today in SW VA but we got hammered last weekend! It's still hanging around waiting for more. Heated buckets are lifesavershop

I am beyond thankful I got me a pair of coveralls before all this insane weather! Tennessee is definitely a hit or miss for weather, much like yours probably.
My gloves are not waterproof at all...just work gloves then some cutesy handmade mittens from a longtime ago over the top!
But they scare the chicks to death so I end up having to take em all off...really bad when they get wet too!
Gonna go look right now for waterproof ones!
Got another tip to make your warm gloves waterproof.. Put a pair of your dishwashing gloves on over your warm gloves. ..then your gloves stay dry.

yeah i got a big jacket right before this and im so thankful
on the mountain we get 1 or two snowstorms that are about 6-8 inches of snow typically not ice

I get something like this maybe twice in 5 years.

yeah i got a big jacket right before this and im so thankful
on the mountain we get 1 or two snowstorms that are about 6-8 inches of snow typically not ice

My heavy work jacket is a man's jacket so I can't zip it. Normally just fine with my fleece vest under it. It's not worth the money to buy a work jacket that fits and zips instead of my yard-sale special when I only *need* to zip it a dozen times in 5 years. Maybe.

When it is this cold, I dump the water out the night before and provide fresh room temperature water first thing in the morning.

I normally bring the waterers in overnight when it's going to freeze but I wasn't willing to go out last night in the still falling mess with ice underneath it because my coop is down a small, but steep hill.

Back
Top Bottom