Snow on cars--A rant

I'm short. I never get all the snow off the top of the Explorer. Usually after the sun comes out it comes sliding down my windshield when I stop.
Chunks of ice fall off of semis all the time (and nobody is bustin them for it) - it was just somethin I had to get used to back when I kept the interstate hot, wasn't ever anything I had to worry about though. When it's snowy that's even more reason to leave a longer following distance.

Quote:
Tala..they do have things you can buy to get the snow off the top of high cars...
Or just use a broom..something. It really IS dangerous to others to leave it.
And yes, i hear ya, chunks of ice do fall off semis all the time.... they should be held responsible for it too.

I'm only 5'2..and i have a mini-van. I dont EVER leave snow on the roof of my vehicle.

Last edited:
Tala has hit another problem on the head. Leave snow on the roof and you get in crank up the heat and then you get a wet layer between the snow and the car. Step on the brakes and you could end up with a sheet of ice/snow on your windshield. My car doesn't go unless all snow is off the car.

Imp

Quote:
Tala..they do have things you can buy to get the snow off the top of high cars...
And yes, i hear ya, chunks of ice do fall off semis all the time.... they should be held responsible for it too.

I do use a broom
tongue.png
It gets all up in that stupid roof rack is the part I can't get down. What's the point of those things anyway? Like I'm gonna tie stuff to the roof when they gave me collapsing back seats and a towing package??? If it can't fit inside or be hauled behind, I'll just borrow a different truck.
roll.png

Quote:

I do use a broom
tongue.png
It gets all up in that stupid roof rack is the part I can't get down. What's the point of those things anyway? Like I'm gonna tie stuff to the roof when they gave me collapsing back seats and a towing package??? If it can't fit inside or be hauled behind, I'll just borrow a different truck.
roll.png

lol.png
Yes, the roof racks can be a PIA...
Sounds like ya have a sweet ride there...
pop.gif

Quote:
Yeah..thats what happend.. a WHOLE sheet of snow/ice just slid off the van in front of us... it was nuts. Scared the crud out of me, and it happens SO fast!. Good thing hubby was driving.... cause i probably would have swerved(out of instinct) and caused an accident.

Quote:
Absolutely agree. It is called "defensive driving" for a reason. You can keep up with traffic while maintaining a safe distance. Why depend on someone else to make sure their ice doesn't bap you in the windshield?

Quote:
We wernt following close...
Is that what you were trying to imply? You are wrong, if so.
If you are on a state turnpike going 60 miles per hour....
yeah... how far back would you expect me to be? And still keep up with the flow of traffic safely...? Its also the LAW to keep up with the flow of traffic..
Sure, i could drive 30 in a 60.... i think i'd get rear-ended or fined though....
roll.png

I wasn't trying to imply ANYTHING. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you. But since I am now...The LAW tells you not to exceed the maximum posted speed limit, or go slower than a posted minimum. This has NOTHING to do with the "flow" of traffic, or more particularly of maintaining an assured clear distance.

Quote:
Absolutely agree. It is called "defensive driving" for a reason. You can keep up with traffic while maintaining a safe distance. Why depend on someone else to make sure their ice doesn't bap you in the windshield?

Sure.. that makes sense..not always reality though.
Good thing we were far enough from the van... still though... we had to slam on our brakes. What if the guy behind us wasnt far enough behind us and he hit us? And it was close, trust me..
That would have hurt... and could have EASILY caused a pile-up on a major highway... many people could have been injured.
I'm just saying..dont be lazy... clean off the roof of your vehicles. Why risk such an accident? bah...

Quote:
We wernt following close...
Is that what you were trying to imply? You are wrong, if so.
If you are on a state turnpike going 60 miles per hour....
yeah... how far back would you expect me to be? And still keep up with the flow of traffic safely...? Its also the LAW to keep up with the flow of traffic..
Sure, i could drive 30 in a 60.... i think i'd get rear-ended or fined though....
roll.png

I wasn't trying to imply ANYTHING. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you. But since I am now...The LAW tells you not to exceed the maximum posted speed limit, or go slower than a posted minimum. This has NOTHING to do with the "flow" of traffic, or more particularly of maintaining an assured clear distance.

Sure... the speed limit on the pike is 65... thats the law, you are right.
smile.png

But trust me.. if everyone else is going 60... i cant go 30.. period. UNLESS the FLOW of traffic is going that speed.
Snow CAN fly off a vehicle and fly a couple hundred feet at 60MPH... have you ever even seen that? I have..

Has noone else here seen a slab of ice/snow fall off a vehicle going at high speed and skip down the highway? Come on now...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom