Snow time!

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
Got the chickens out into the run with a few treats. They didn't go far at first, but, then ventured over to the burning bush.
IMG_20171210_132055531_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171210_133026425_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171210_150442_493.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171210_132845068_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171210_132845068_HDR.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 8
I believe so. I think they enjoyed the sunshine too! They probably would have stayed out longer if I had let them, but I had other chores to get done and we have a hawk that has been on patrol here for the past month or so. I keep them in their coop and secured attached run which has some plastic and a tarp to keep most of the snow out. The EE came out for about 5 seconds at first, then she was like “nah, this is for the birds”. :gig But, a few seconds later came back out when the IBs went around the corner to the bush.

:( I ended up loosing one of my 4 breeding hens to egg binding and deep freezing ( in the teens with sustained heavy winds).
Hens didn’t come out of the tractor for several days. I did regular head counts but they were huddled together and I was not able too detect her distress.
:( heavy heart

:( I ended up loosing one of my 4 breeding hens to egg binding and deep freezing ( in the teens with sustained heavy winds).
Hens didn’t come out of the tractor for several days. I did regular head counts but they were huddled together and I was not able too detect her distress.
:( heavy heart
Awe sorry to hear that.

I’ve since tacked empty feed sacks on the front on either side of the door and placed wind barriers around all 4 sides to block wind from the bottom. The floor of the tractor is hardware cloth so there is adequate ventilation.
It looks awful but had been effective the last 2 nights when we had gusts to 50mph.
I love winter but am concerned for my chickens. Was supposed to be mild, but this is not mild for here so far.

Back
Top Bottom