So about cooking this 1st dressed chicken

ellandeeranch

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Alright. I processed an Americauna rooster Saturday. I believe he was around 6 months old. He's been in the fridge for two days in a big baggie to prevent dehydration.

Today, I was planning on putting him in the oven at 350 with a meat thermometer in the thigh and some fresh spices from the garden.

I'd like to cook him whole. Any tips? Cook him breast side down? Baste?

Thanks. This place is a great resource!

Richard

I have not processed a roo at home. But have cooked several turkeys and chickens. I actually prefer to smoke the chickens on the smoker it is AMAZING. If you are going to have a plentiful supply of whole chickens and are interested in smoking one to try let me know and i will pass on the info. In the oven I would put the bird in a brine of salt with garlic cloves floating in the water for several hours. remove your bird and pat him dry. I put butter pats under the skin on the breast meat, you could also put your herbs under the skin. I cook mine breast up with the thermometer in the breast meat. I dont think you will get as good of a temp reading in the thigh. GOOD LUCK!

Sounds like how I do my turkeys. Indirect smoke and lots of moisture in there as well.
I have not processed a roo at home. But have cooked several turkeys and chickens. I actually prefer to smoke the chickens on the smoker it is AMAZING. If you are going to have a plentiful supply of whole chickens and are interested in smoking one to try let me know and i will pass on the info. In the oven I would put the bird in a brine of salt with garlic cloves floating in the water for several hours. remove your bird and pat him dry. I put butter pats under the skin on the breast meat, you could also put your herbs under the skin. I cook mine breast up with the thermometer in the breast meat. I dont think you will get as good of a temp reading in the thigh. GOOD LUCK!

Oh Man it SO good! We have just gotten into smoking in the last 6 months BOY have we been missing out!!!! Now we plan our weekend around what we are going to smoke!

LOL. Back in the day, we sure wouldn't have been talking about barbeque! My weekend plans and smoking in the 60's and 70's were just a little more...adventuresome.

Hmmmm...Alice B. Toklas chicken. Gotta wonder if some kids, somewhere, are giving this a try.

Oh Man it SO good! We have just gotten into smoking in the last 6 months BOY have we been missing out!!!! Now we plan our weekend around what we are going to smoke!

Be sure to brine it first! A hour in a 9% salt water solution really helps it retain moisture when you put it in that hot oven.

I'm a fan of Martha Stewart's recipe -- breast side up, butter on the skin, salt, pepper, garlic, lemon and rosemary in the cavity, and into a 450 degree oven for 75 minutes or so.

America's Test Kitchen recently had a variation where you pre-heat an oven-safe skillet [not nonstick] to give the thighs a head start and help it all finish at the same time without overcooking the breast.

Let us know how it turns out... a six month old rooster is definitely not going to be like supermarket chicken!

-Wendy

Let us know how it turns out... a six month old rooster is definitely not going to be like supermarket chicken!

-Wendy
In a good way or a bad way, Wendy? Is a six-month rooster too long for a dual-purpose bird?

In a good way or a bad way, Wendy? Is a six-month rooster too long for a dual-purpose bird?
6 months is fine. We processed 8 EE roosters on Saturday that were 25 weeks. Low and slow. they will have awesome flavor and texture. Warning: do not share. Others who you share with will expect more of the same and show up for dinner unexpectedly.....

Not bad, just... different. It's going to have a lot more flavor and texture than you may be used to. (Your thread title implies that this is your first home processed chicken?)

I'm spoiled on all that boneless skinless chicken breast I grew up with and don't really like dark meat, so I'm projecting. :)

-Wendy

Back
Top Bottom