So angry I could cry!

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Well I did a lil! So! I just candled SEVERAL of my eggs last night....and was so excited at all thebabies kicking and swirling in there! Well ofcourse with all this rediculous weather outside it got to 40 out!!!! Can you say WARM!?! It shot my inc up to 108, and i was sick all night last night, so I practically passed out when I finnally stopped feeling like I couldnt breath (lung cold)....so I never got up through the night to check on them.

So I get up this morning freaking out...and not only that the darn fan fell off the top of the incy and landed on an egg...somehow not cracking it...

So then I fix the temp on the incubator since now i have to turn it down drastically.....and I rush to candle all the eggs...i lost something like 5. And a few I opened up that I were sure were DOA....were actually still alive...so then I felt like even more crap.....so now from 20+ eggs I now have something like 14....and some of those may still die from my experience days later.....
hit.gif

Obviously i need to watch the weather more and keep an eye on outside temps....it's rediculous how much it effects in the house. We keep the temp in the house at 61.....so I HAVE to keep the inc turned up high to keep it warm enough for development and then THIS happens.....it's probably something like 63 in here...and yep that little bit of a raise in temp threw my inc off completely....my poor babies!!!! Luckily, I have more eggs coming...and can get more golden comet and RIR eggs...but still just makes me so sad for THESE ones......

Please guys...please hope with me that the ones left make it!!!
hugs.gif

Niki----still sick, and miserable...and sad.....
hit.gif

hugs.gif
it happens...wish I could say I have never done it but I have...try raising eggs in a classroom...some kid cranked the heat up on mine...like 5 out of 50...kids were running...one of those life lessons that ain't any fun...
fl.gif
hope the rest make it!

thanks guys.... having sympathy helps he he these will be some lucky chicks if they hatch....early on in development it got to 107....it didnt kill as many that time...but urgh....
he.gif

Are you using a dimmer switch on your bator or a regular thermostat?

I tried the dimmer switch and it doesn't work very well. It's totally dependent on the ambient air temperature in the room.

I learned the hard way...don't EVER throw out or open and egg unless it is stinking or still clear at day 18.

High temps for even several hours will often not kill the embryo...(learned that the hard way too
roll.png
)

Sorry...good luck on the remaining ones!!
smile.png

40's warm?! Geesh...when it gets down to that here I have to turn the bator UP or my eggies freeze! Good luck on the rest of them...
fl.gif

Im so sorry Niki! don't feel bad about the eggs you broke open! many on BYC have done the same. You have much courage to even try to hatch. I am too afraid to try. I am sorry that you are sick. I have a cold myself. Get well soon, Best of luck

jenny

(oops, i strung my words together again!)

Last edited:
My second time my temp went up to 110. Someone from TX said that the temp in TX gets that high and the eggs still hatch. I learned, like you, the hard way not to open the eggs.

I wish you luck,
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
good vibes coming your way.

What day are you on? I'm on day 11.

Back
Top Bottom