So Cal Fire evacuation… how to evacuate with chickens?

I had to evacuate last summer from the mountains in Northern California with my flock of hens and a rooster. My partner at the time had built a false bottom to our trailer, that could be pulled up into a "pop-out" once unloaded. It was like a chicken camper! That was posh. Regular cardboard boxes with ventilation work well, just keep in mind that chickens get overheated easily.
The advice above is solid! I've since used cat/dog carriers and regular cardboard boxes, I think the main thing is make sure they're ready to go. I like to give my chickens a wet mash/hydrating food before transportation. Actually, I take my "pet" chicken, "Sunspot", and her banties camping all the time....🙄🥰 Chicken transport is becoming an art!
On that note... Use a high value treat, like low-fat cottage cheese, and train your chooks to come when you call/clap/whistle whatever! It makes collection MUCH easier when they all come running!! Good luck!!!

Oh, scarrrrry! Stay safe, friend! Be ready to go. The Camp fire haunts us up here in Nor Cal.

The Mosquito fire is several miles south and west of us. I'll get a pic tomorrow, but the plume is very visible from my front yard. It looks like a friggin thunderhead.
My cousin is fighting in the Mosquito fire right now! They live only one house down from me but he’s with a fire crew up there.

I’m not certain if my family and I will have to evacuate our home… at least this time. A fire started in a city below the mountains and is very quickly moving through the canyons towards us and the town a bit lower than us. Evacuation zones are being set and getting closer and closer to us. The fire went from being 500 acres late on Sunday to over 4,500 acres and counting. We have never been in this situation before, especially not with chickens whom we will absolutely not leave behind. I would like to know if any of you have had to evacuate with chickens and how you did it. Also, where did you bring them and how did you house them until you could return home? I have 13 chickens and they are all beloved pets who I do not want to leave if the fire ends up coming here. I may not have to evacuate with this specific fire but the new reality of living in a rural area in of one of the hottest and driest states in the U.S. is the great risk of wildfires and evacuation. If it’s not this fire it could very well be another one in the future and I would really like to be prepared for when that time may come. Thank you!
Thoughts and prayers for you tonight! 🙏 🙏🙏 . I pray for safety over your family and pets tonight!

Good luck, friend. Sending every positive vibe and good thought your way!

Just be safe.

Let us know what happens, when you can.
❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️
Thank you! The fire even spread to Temecula, where my grandparents live and they had to evacuate as well. It's now close to 25,000 acres and attempting to spread into other neighboring cities.

I hope they get everything under control!!! I've never had to evacuate chickens but if I did, I would make sure I had a chicken first aid kit ready to go in the car with anything they might need if you're away from home for a long time. If they were to get sick where they're living temporarily you would need things like nutri drench or vitamin supplements and electrolytes (which could help with the stress of moving anyway). Being crated for awhile could be really emotionally taxing so things like vetericin, antibiotic ointment, blue kote or peck wound cover up would help treat little scuffle injuries. Several nipple waterers filled up and ready to go might be helpful too, if you have any extra nipples laying around I made them out of a regular old water bottle from the dollar store and installed one poultry nipple in each. Good luck!!!

Oh yes! The fire actually slowed down last night and only expanded 1,000 acres instead of doubling like the nights before. They also got control of it on the ridge so the mountain communities are safe as of right now. A huge rainstorm is now here and should last until Monday so we’re hoping this will really help slow it down even more.
I hope it holds! CalFire are heroes out here for a reason. I have a friend who is a retired fire captain for our county. He often gets called to work fires up here. He sends pics and video sometimes. Pretty harrowing stuff, and these folks just walk right into it.

I have evacuated with chickens.

First, as soon as you know there's a fire anywhere near, shut them in the pen/coop. That way if you get orders, you don't have to chase them.

I ordered those cardboard animal carriers and wrote my name and phone on them. They sit next to my coop during fire season. When we got the evac order last year, I folded them and taped the bottoms and threw in pine shavings when we first got the warning. I'd already decided who would go together in the carriers. It was pretty easy to snatch them up and put them in the carriers. But I want to get a fishing net or rooster hook.

Now, here there is a volunteer organization that you can call to come get your animals. We had to do that for the goats, but the chickens all fit in the SUV with the dogs and cats.

I also grabbed a bucket of feed and a big container of water. I also have a tent that I can put them in if we end up staying in a parking lot or a friend's place. All the flaps of the tent open to let in air.

As it was, we took them to the fairgrounds, which is where our goats went. They had them in horse stalls there with hay, food, and water. It was pretty amazing. They even had buckets and pools for the ducks. Each stall had a clipboard with owner info. There were volunteers who would feed/water them when they were able, but we were expected to come back to take care of them daily.

As it turned out, we weren't there long as the evac order for our neighborhood was lifted before we even unloaded the birds.
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom