So....call ducks...any ideas?

Cluckcluck1215

Free Ranging
8 Years
Jan 21, 2016
Found.
So, I live I maine.harsh winters and sweating summers.i have 11 hens and one female runner duck.i want to get some tiny call ducks next year(I didn't now there was a big call duck)and I was wondering if they would do ok in the heat and cold.i saw a thread Ike this but....

Also, do call ducks get along well with chickens?i keep my female runner in the chicken coop, can the call ducks stay in there aswell?

I have two 4 lbs Calls and four standard sized Ducks...They hate my Chickens and visa versa...The Ducks were raised in the same coop with my Chicks but never allowed to run free together because as Ducklings they really wanted to chase the chicks...
All you really can do is try it and see if it works..Call hens might workout but adding a Drake might be a bit too much? My Call Drake really thinks he is somebody...He chases the dogs, cat, and Chickens...I have a electric mesh fence to separate the birds when out free ranging, although it is never on...

Best thing to do, is be prepared for anything...

Cheers

I have two 4 lbs Calls and four standard sized Ducks...They hate my Chickens and visa versa...The Ducks were raised in the same coop with my Chicks but never allowed to run free together because as Ducklings they really wanted to chase the chicks...
All you really can do is try it and see if it works..Call hens might workout but adding a Drake might be a bit too much? My Call Drake really thinks he is somebody...He chases the dogs, cat, and Chickens...I have a electric mesh fence to separate the birds when out free ranging, although it is never on...

Best thing to do, is be prepared for anything...

Cheers
If your call ducks are 4 pounds then they might be obese. calls should be from a little less than one pound the about 2.5 pounds. Now the worse the quality the bigger the ducks can be but averagely they should be between 1 and 2.5 pounds maybe 3 but I would say that's pushing it.
I would keep the calls by themselves

If your call ducks are 4 pounds then they might be obese. calls should be from a little less than one pound the about 2.5 pounds. Now the worse the quality the bigger the ducks can be but averagely they should be between 1 and 2.5 pounds maybe 3 but I would say that's pushing it.
I would keep the calls by themselves
My Calls are not obese..lol....They are Calls...I put down 4 lbs...Probably more like 3 lbs...Mine are not show standard Calls..Cute little Ducks..I have a white Hen and a Mallard Call Drake...So cute!

Just my experience - my calls and chickens get along fine..in fact, one female call I bought was raised with chicks, and now always trys to hang out with my chickens. But again, every bird is different, so observe closely.
Also, I don't think the temps will be a problem, if the runner duck is doing fine these should too. Plenty of clean water and shade on the hot days, and extra straw/bedding for winter.

Quote: The feed store by me produces calls that are a good 4 pounds, and they aren't obese, they're just large.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom