So COLD, Chickens inside, when to go back out?

Purple_grape84

Songster
Jan 19, 2019
Lamont, AB, Canada
I have two silkies, not sure of age, prob less than one year, male and female, I brought them inside when it got really cold (-30 C), I heard they couldn't handle the cold like other breeds because of their feathers. They are happily hanging out in my basement in a small concrete floored room, crowing in the morning and chatting happily at me when I check on them. From your experience is it true that they can't handle the cold? When should I put them back out again? I'm sure they have lost part of their conditioning and now they will have to reintegrate into the flock.

Any advice appreciated.

-30 Celsius is way too cold for silkies, and I would say very uncomfortable for almost any breed. It should be at least 30 degrees Fahrenheit before they are reintroduced, even warmer if they get wet. Good luck!

I had a Silkie that escaped and couldn't get back in to the coop. She died from being outside in the cold. Keep them warm, they can't handle the cold well at all. If you feel that they should be let out to get some fresh air, or stretch their legs, then only let them out for a short period of time.

I'm not sure it's good to have them acclimate to the temperature of your house and then put them back out in the coop when it's still cold. It could be fine tho, just a thought.

What your doing is good! Glad they are happy chickens!

Back
Top Bottom